Please note that the printed version of this page will include opening times and other useful information for each property/event.
Before heading out for your Heritage Open Days visit, please check entries at www.heritageopendays.org.uk for last-minute changes.
Silks Way, Warner's Mill, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3GB
The Archive is the second largest collection of flat textiles in the UK. Our gallery displays narrate the rich history of two centuries of design and manufacture, from handwoven silks to digital printing. Our temporary exhibition gallery is currently CELEBRATION - designs from our Coronation Collection gallery display featuring designs and designers with over a hundred examples from our collection. In addition, we have an audio-visual unit which includes footage of production processes at the mills in 1971, a full size hand loom, and other manufacturing equipment. For our Open Day visitors there will be a short gallery talk about Warner & Sons part in the Coronations of the 20th century at 3pm. Some activity sheets available focussing on the 1953 Coronation.
Access Information: Two marked disabled parking spaces and a ramp to the gallery entrance.
Directions: Follow Silks Way right to the end, around the rear of the southernmost range of white painted weatherboarded buildings. Our car parking area is the paved surface against the wall on your left. The public car parking area to the right is to be avoided as there is currently no ticket machine, and the traffic wardens are not helpful! There is space on our car park for more than 10 cars.We are no more than five minutes' walk from Braintree railway station - direct trains to London Liverpool Street. Easy pedestrian access to town centre and bus park ( 5 minutes)
Brentwood, Essex, CM15 8AS
Single half-hour tour of school, including Tudor schoolroom and 19th-century chapel.
Directions: Opposite Brentwood Roman Catholic cathedral.
135 Warley Hill, Brentwood, Essex, CM13 3AJ
The 1881 church built to serve Warley Barracks is Grade II listed, by F.W Tasker with a fine reredos by Thomas Earp (sculptor of Charing Cross London). Also contains a small chamber organ by Mitchell and Thynne.
Directions: Holy Cross and All Saints is the grey rag-stone church on Warley Hill B186 almost opposite Christ Church Anglican church. It is approximately 3/4 mile from Brentwood station in the direction of Great Warley.
Shonks Mill Road, Navestock, Brentwood, Essex, RM4 1EX
This is a medieval church with wonderful timbers, unique timber tower and memorials to the Earls Waldegrave. Features include Millennium Map, richly repainted 'Baroque' organ case, hive of activity workshop and bell-ringing demonstration.
Directions: Take Shonks Mill Road off A113 or Crown Road/Dudbrook Road off A128.
Petre Chapel, Thorndon Park, Ingrave, Brentwood, Essex, CM13 3SA
A rare opportunity to see the interior of this attractive Grade II* listed 19th century mausoleum of the Petre family.
Access Information: It is necessary to walk approx 100 metres through woodland and then across a grass burial ground to get to the chapel. This visit is unfortunately not suitable for wheelchair or disabled access. Suitable shoes for walking in woodland are essential - and the access track might be muddy in wet weather. Nearest toilets are 500 metres away at the Thorndon Park visitor centre. Nearest parking is approx 200 metres away - and there is a £2.20 parking charge.
Directions: Enter Thorndon Country Park by the North Gate (near to Ingrave). Proceed to the second car park - approx 500 metres on from the North Gate (and visitor centre). It is essential to park cars in the second car park - note there is a £2.20 parking charge. Proceed by foot. Turn right when exiting the car park. Proceed one hundred metres. Take the left fork off the tarmaced roadway along the gravel track leading into the woodland. Proceed along to the end of the gravel track and take the track into the woodland (by the entrance to Oak Lodge - do not go into the grounds of Oak Lodge). Walk 50 metres to the fence line and enter the grounds to the chapel. Note - will be essential to wear footwear suitable for walking through woodland.
Ongar Road, Brentwood, Essex, CM15 9EN
St George's is the only Art Deco church in Brentwood, with many of the Art Deco features remaining. It was built by the Brentwood-born and educated architect, Laurence King OBE.
Access Information: Refreshments only on Sunday afternoon.
Directions: Near the Robin Hood Roundabout.
Great Warley Street, Great Warley, Brentwood, Essex, CM13 3
Fabulous art nouveau church.
Directions: On B 1063. Parking on opposite side to church, if approaching from the South, on Right hand side. About 1mile from the great warley turn on the A127
Burnham on Crouch, Essex
Burnham’s best known landmark, the red brick octagonal clock tower with black brick quoins and diapering was built in 1877. The tower is in four stages with a fish scale tiled ogee roof. The Tower was dedicated to the memory of Laban Sweeting a well known local oyster merchant who was renowned for his philanthropy amongst local residents. Attached to the clock tower is St Mary's House, formerly Burnham Endowed School. The ground floor is now an artist’s studio. Visitors may access the tower via a spiral staircase, then an extendable ladder, to view the clockface.
Booking Details: Pre-booking essential due to very restricted access Contact: Maldon Tourist Information Centre Call: 01621 856503 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Booking opens: 1 August 2013 10:00
Access Information: Timed visits due to very restricted access. Directions wil be given at time of booking
Additional Information: Max 4 people per tour/event.
On the Quay, at the end of Coronation Road, Burnham on Crouch, Essex, CM0 8AS
Burnham-on-Crouch Museum is located in a former boat-builders premises built around 1910 and covers the history, development and people of the town with displays from the Stone Age to the near present. Archive material relating to fishing, the oyster fishery, farming and agriculture, boat building and the local iron foundry is on display. The exhibition for 2013 ‘The 1953 East Coast Flood’ commemorates the effect of various floods since 1897 on the town and locality.
Marsh Road, Burnham on Crouch, Essex, CM0 8QB
Dating from the 12th century, St Mary's Church is one of the finest churches in the Maldon District, containing many interesting and beautiful features. The church will be specially decorated for the Harvest Festival and there will be a display of plate not normally visible to the general public.Guided tours on the hour between 11am and 5pm. St Mary's will be holding its Summer Fayre from 10am - 3pm with stalls and refreshments.
Directions: On the junction of Church road and Marsh Road. Five minutes' walk north of Burnham railway station. Hourly bus service 31X Chelmsford/Maldon/Burnham-on-Crouch.
Writtle Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM8 1US
Chelmsford City Council invites members of the public to visit the city’s cemetery and crematorium. People will have the chance to look behind the scenes and to meet members of the bereavement services team, who will be on hand to talk about the burial and cremation process.
Essex County Council , County Hall, Duke Street Reception, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1QH
Visit the historic listed building and examine historic artwork along with maps of Essex. This will only be in the Chamber and Foyer DDA accesible, no real provision for children.
Access Information: No parking on site
Additional Information: -
Directions: Town centre location, parking at High Chelmer Multi-Storey. Sign posted on roads + pavements.
Essex Police Museum, Headquarters, Sandford Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 6DN
There's lots to see at Essex Police Museum. Try on our police uniform, visit the cell, make your fingerprints and become a detective with our special kit suitable for ages 3+! The displays tell the history of policing from 1840 to present day and include some important crime stories as well as a large range of police uniform and equipment from over the years and a 1970s crime scene. Children aged 5+ can make their own Essex Police Horse from crafting materials. This is normally £1 but will be free to take part in on the day!
Directions: We are based in the basement of Essex Police Headquarters. From town, follow Springfield Road, and turn right at the Prison. We are on lthe left just after Lionmede Park. Free parking on site in the Orchard Car Park.
Essex Record Office, Wharf Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 6YT
The Essex Record Office cares for documents, images, and sound and video recordings which together tell the story of nearly 1,000 years of our county’s past. Join us for a celebration of the ERO's 75th anniversary, with behind-the-scenes guided tours (including one for families), a chance to see the ERO’s ‘treasures’ and watch archive films, a talk from author, journalist and ‘Essexologist’ Pete May, a helpdesk to aid your research on family, house or local history, and anniversary cake. See www.essexrecordofficeblog.co.uk/ero75/ for more details, including tour times Special behind-the-scenes tour for families.
Directions: By car: The record office is situated next to Wharf Road car park. Please note the pay and display machines only accept cash and do not dispense change. By bike: A cycle path runs past the record office and there are bike racks outside the main entrance. By bus: The record office is a 15-20 minute walk from the bus stops in the centre of Chelmsford, or a five minute walk from the bus stops on Navigation Road. By train: The record office is a 15-20 minute walk from Chelmsford Station.
Moulsham Mill, Parkway, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 7PX
Moulsham Mill is an early 19th-century wooden mill, originally a water mill, which was later converted to steam. A major restoration took place in 1983 and the buildings were converted into a craft and business centre. Visitors will be able to tour part of the building and visit the launch exhibition of 'Mortars, Mills and Marriages' - a Young Roots heritage project where young people will excavate a spigot mortar gun emplacement and explore the history and heritage of the mill, industrial heritage of Chelmsford and the surrounding area. Quiz/trail for children/young people. Teenagers will be able to engage in the 'Mortars, Mills and Marriages' project.
Access Information: Wheelchair access to ground floor only. No lifts.
Additional Information: Max 10 people per tour/event.
Directions: Follow brown signs to Moulsham Mill centre. Site is located near Army & Navy roundabout by Tesco Homestore.
St Martin's church, Little Waltham, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 3LJ
Ancient Grade I listed parish church hosting the parish Flower Festival on a harvest theme. There will be lunch on Saturday and afternoon tea on Saturday and Sunday. Stalls and family activities around the church.
Pleshey, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 1HF
12th century motte and bailey castle. The earthworks are particularly well preserved with a fine view of the surrounding countryside from the top of the motte. Meet at the castle gates. There are no buildings on site. The visit comprises a talk about the local archaeology and history of the castle and its excavations, followed by a walk up to the top of the motte. Visitors are free to walk around the defences. Allow one hour. The bridge between the bailey and motte is unguarded, and young children should not be allowed to run ahead. The grass can be quite uneven, and there are steep slopes.
Booking Details: Tour size is restricted to manageable numbers Contact: Reception, Chelmsford Museum Call: 01245 605700 Email: email@example.com Write to: Chelmsford Museum, Oaklands Park, Moulsham Street, Chelmsford CM2 9AQ Booking opens: 4 May 2013 10:00 Booking closes: 13 September 2013 14:00
Access Information: The site has uneven thick grass, and steps onto the castle mound and is not suitable for wheelchairs. There are no public facilities on site.
Additional Information: Max 35 people per tour/event. The site is in private ownership
Directions: Pleshey is off the A130 Chelmsford to Great Dunmow Road, beyond the village of Great Waltham. There is parking on the main street in Pleshey, and the access to the castle is off to the left by a large red brick wall opposite the White Horse public house. The gates are off this track in a gap in the moat. Look out for Heritage Open Day signage.
Victoria Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 6LJ
View old mill wheel and equipment on ground floor. Low oak beams throughout the building. View hotel rooms that have been built into the structure sympathetically.
Booking Details: Call: 01245 266881 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Information: Pay car park opposite pub available. No on-site parking.
193 Burrs Rd, Clacton on Sea, Essex, CO15 4LN
DIY bungalow conversion to recycled water and low energy use: rain water recycling, grey water recycling through a reed bed system, solar water heating, solar PV (electricity generation) organic vegetable growing, chickens, bees etc. Working towards urban self-sufficiency. See our website at www.ecodiy.org for more information. Friendly dog, chickens and fish for children to see. Trampoline (by permission of parents and at their own risk).
Access Information: Level site and access to WC.
Additional Information: Max 10 people per tour/event.
Directions: We are a few houses up (going in the out of town direction) from the Robert Burr pub on the same side of the road
193 Burrs Road, Clacton on Sea, Essex, CO15 4LN
Pioneering owners of some of the UK’s most eco-friendly SuperHomes are hosting free Open Days this September. SuperHomes are older homes refurbished by their owners for greater comfort, lower bills and fewer carbon emissions - at least 60% less! Visitors can expect to come away with plenty of ideas for greening their own properties, including home improvements likely to be eligible for future Green Deal finance. Chris Southall and Rosie Dodds have a passion for permaculture. They live in a refurbished 1930s detached bungalow on half an acre of land. Chris is a retired engineer and enjoys DIY. So, you’ll find some ingenious low cost improvements and some great joined up thinking designed to reduce water and energy use. The couple re-use waste materials, make full use of heat from the sun, have a reed bed to filter grey water and also keep chickens.
Booking Details: To pre-book a place, please visit the Superhomes website Go to: http://www.superhomes.org.uk/24
Additional Information: Max 35 people per tour/event.
Directions: This house is on Burrs Road close to Burrsville Park.
Marks Hall Road, Coggeshall, Essex, CO6 1TG
Now in its third year ,our dig site will be opened up to the public so they can see the remains of the former mansion of the Marks Hall Estate and get up close to interesting artifacts. Colchester Archaeological Group will be on hand to guide visitors around the site and explain some of the fascinating history. A self-led Heritage Walk is also available to visitors who can learn more about the history of this great estate. Play equipment available for children in the arboretum.
Access Information: While our Visitor Centre is fully accessible and we have hard paths leading up to the dig site, visitors should be aware that the dig site itself does have some uneven ground in places.
Additional Information: Visitors will also be able to enjoy our Gardens and Arboretum, covering 220 acres we have an arboretum featuring trees from all temperate areas of the globe, woodland walks and areas of formal gardens and lakes.
Directions: We are easy to find, just follow the brown and white signs on the A120 north of Coggeshall
25 West Street, Coggeshall, Essex, CO6 1NS
Exquisitely carved Tudor merchant's house, with a beautiful and tranquil cottage garden. Visitors can follow the changing fortunes of the house over its 500 years of history, as it went from riches to rags, and see how it was saved from demolition and restored to glory. Children's I-spy game and quizzes are available, along with Edwardian garden games for family fun. Children's I-spy adventure game.
Access Information: Toilet on site but stairs to reach it,
Additional Information: Coffee shop available offering teas, coffees and light refreshments. National Trust shop offering branded products and regional artisan products. Plant stall and second-hand bookshop are also available for visitors.
Directions: Sign posted from A120.
Starts at St James the Less and St Helen's Church, 51 Priory Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2QB
Take a guided walk from St James the Less and St Helen's church to St John's Abbey Gatehouse hearing the history of the site.
Access Information: Walk mainly on good surface. May be access issues inside the church and gatehouse.
Berechurch Hall Road, Berechurch, Colchester, Essex, CO2 9NU
16th century burial chamber of the Audley family, managed by the Churches Conservation Trust. Fine hammer beam roof with superb monuments and other original features.
Bourne Road, Colchester, Essex, CO2 8RT
Originally built as a fishing lodge in 1591 with stepped Dutch gables. Converted to a mill in the 19th century for cloth manufacturing, and later flour milling. Working water wheel on site. Tranquil grounds and pond. Craft fair taking place over the weekend with the Bournbe Valley Crafters.
Access Information: 2 steps to entrance, steep stairs to other floors. Some slopes and steps within grounds.
Hollytrees Museum, High Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1TJ
Colchester Castle is undergoing a great transformation. Across the path in Castle Park is Hollytrees Museum, where you can meet staff and hear about the goings-on in the castle and how it will look in just a few short months. Park playground just outside the museum.
Access Information: Disabled toilets located immediately next to the museum. Access via RADAR key (available at museum front desk).
Directions: At the end of High Street, inside the park gates next to the war memorial and castle.
Mersea Road, Colchester, Essex, CO2 8RU
Take a tour of the cemetery, a beatiful and peaceful space, hearing about its history. The tour lasts approx 1-1.5 hrs Saturday only). Children and dogs on leads welcome.
Access Information: Most of the guided tour is carried out on hard path, but there are some steep sections.
Directions: Tours begin at the cemetery gate opposite Bourne Road. The site is approximately half a mile south of town centre on Mersea Road.
Lexden Road, Colchester, Essex, CO3 3ND
A chance to look at this historic school, including the library and its two Jacobean fireplaces, as well as the hall (and its church organ). There will be regular tours of the garden and refreshments will be available in the garden. 20 minute talks will also take place in the hall.
Directions: Just outside the town centre as you head towards Lexden and Stanway.
High Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1FR
Exciting design by John Belcher, 1898-1902. Tower surmounted by a bronze figure of St Helena, 162 ft above the street. Property open via guided tours, including private rooms, the courts and the cells.
Access Information: The tours include several staircases.
Directions: The Town Hall is at a central location on High Street and is very visible by its tall clock tower.
From Castle Park Gates / War Memorial, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1TJ
A vintage bus service (courtesy of Eastern National Vehicle Owners Club) will link Colchester Town Centre and Heritage Open Day properties with Hythe Port, Bourne Mill and St Leonard's Church. See publicity for timetables (or on the web at www.cimuseums.org.uk and www.colneestuarypb.co.uk).
Access Information: Due to the older nature of the vehicles, they are not accessible to wheelchairs. However, wheelchairs can be stored on the journey.
Directions: Buses depart from Cowdray Crescent, at the war memorial outside the castle (at the end of High Street). The bus also stops at St Leonard's Church, Bourne Mill and the Hythe quay.
West Stockwell Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1HN
St Martin’s lies southeast of Colchester Town Hall, a spectacular Medieval survivor with a massive truncated tower. Many reused Roman bricks may be seen in its exterior, especially in its tower. Although there is evidence of 11th-century work, most of the present building grew during the 14th-century. Treasures include a wagon roof, Jacobean woodwork and a green man carving
Directions: Road directions West Stockwell Street - turn off the High St at the Town Hall, church on right Public transport information Nearest railway station: Colchester Town (0.4 miles); Colchester Town (0.8 miles)
King Edward Quay, The Hythe, Colchester, Essex, CO2 8JB
Launched in 1954 and served as a navigational light ship. Now used as a training ship for the Sea Cadets. Take a look around the ship, meet some of the cadets and staff.
Access Information: Not suitable for wheelchair access due to gangway access to the ship (which moves with the tide), and steep stairs on board.
Directions: On the Hythe port quayside. The vintage bus service stops here.
War Memorial, Castle Park Gates, High Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1YG
Explore Colchester's amazing past with an entertaining and knowledgable Blue Badge Guide. Siege of Colchester tour at 1100 (based on the events of 1648), and Roman Colchester tour at 1500.
Access Information: Tour generally on good hard ground. Disabled parking in nearby streets. Disabled toilet (via RADAR key, available from Hollytrees museum next door) adjacent to starting point.
Directions: The tour starts at the war memorial and entrance to Castle Park at the end of the High Street.
War Memorial, Castle Park Gates, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2PG
Take a historical walking tour of this fascinating corner of Colchester with a Blue Badge guide. Tour lasts approximately 2 hrs.
Access Information: Some uneven pavements on the tour and some areas are on slopes.
Additional Information: This walk is being conducted on a first-come first-served basis, and the guide will take numbers at their discretion.
Directions: The tour begins at the war memorial next to the Castle Park gates at the end of High Street.
Trinity Square, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1JB
Built by the Saxons around 1000AD, the church tower is the oldest standing building in Colchester, pre-dating the Norman castle by three quarters of a century. The tower features a small doorway and recycled Roman bricks. Later additions include the 14th century chancel and Victorian extensions.An elaborate memorial to William Gilberd (1544 - 1603), Colcestrian, physician to Queen Elizabeth I and the first great European experimental scientist, is mounted on the North wall.The church closed in 1952, and was opened as a museum in 1974. The church is now run by GO4 Market Café and this weekend will host an eclectic mix of buskers whose music will reflect the many centuries Holy Trinity Church has been used. Members of the Gilberd Society will be on hand to demonstrate and explain some of his experiments.The tower is not accessible to climb, but visitors can look inside.
Additional Information: The church also houses a vintage market and coffee shop.
Directions: In the centre of town, next to the library and Lion Walk shopping precinct.
Balkerne Gate, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1PT
A rare chance to take a backstage tour of this wonderful theatre. Built in 1972, it has been hosting some of the country's biggest names ever since.
Directions: The Mercury Theatre is next to the large 'Jumbo' water tower, which can be seen from most parts of Colchester.
East Mersea Road, Colchester, Essex, CO5 8SL
Visit the Roman burial mound excavated in 1912. Guided tour of the interior.
Access Information: Not suitable for wheelchairs. Minimal lightling and some uneven flooring.
Additional Information: Max 20 people per tour/event. A torch would be helpful.
Directions: 100 metres to east of Dawes Lane
30 East Stockwell Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1ST
Peake's House stands in the Dutch Quarter of Colchester, which has retained its old street plan. It was originally three cottages and, as Colchester was a centre for the cloth trade, they probably belonged to weavers with the long mullioned windows designed to give light to the men at their looms. Young Landmarker's sheets will be available.
6 Church Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1NF
Grade II listed half-timbered building dating from 1803, originally the home of William Mason, a leading solicitor in the firm serving painter John Constable. It stayed in the family until 1919, when the house became a doctor's surgery. After several more use changes, the house fell into serious disrepair in the 1960s, until the Colchester Quakers bought it in 1971, preserving the frontage and rebuilding the inside to their purposes.
Access Information: Slight steps into building.
Directions: Next to Colchester Arts Centre amd the Mercury Theatre, just off Head Street.
Maidenburgh Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1UB
Small area of foundations of Roman theatre that featured in the destruction of Colchester by Boudica in AD 60. Originally had capacity for 3000 spectators.
Access Information: Slight step into property, which can be negotiated by a wheelchair with assistance.
Directions: In the Dutch Quarter just off the High Street.
War Memorial, Castle Park Gates, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1TJ
Take a guided walk around the oldest town wall in the country. Built in the early 60s AD as a response to Boudica's attack on Colchester, over two thirds still remain, including the most complete Roman gateway in Britain. Approx 1.5 hrs long.
Access Information: Accessible walk, although it does include slopes and bumps.
3 West Stockwell Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1HQ
15th century half-timbered building with remarkable wood carvings. Formerly a merchant's house and an inn.
Directions: West Stockwell Street is off High Street next to the Town Hall.
Priory Street, Colchester, Essex, CO2 7EE
Ruined nave of the first Augustinian priory in Britain. Built c.1100-1170. Norman revival parish church by William Mason, 1836. Priory ruins in the care of English Heritage.
Access Information: Most areas fine for wheelchair access, but slopes in places in the Priory ruins.
Directions: Adjacent to Colchester Town railway station.
St John's Green, Colchester, Essex, CO2 7EZ
Originally a church, St Giles was consecrated in 1116 and closed in 1954. It is currently used as a Masonic Meeting Centre. As a listed building, careful preservation of its many features have been maintained. St Giles is the meeting place for the oldest Masonic Lodge in Essex, Angel Lodge, which recently celebrated its 275th anniversary. An informative guided tour of the building will take place on the hour from 1000 to 1600, which will include visiting the Lucas Chapel.
Access Information: Good wheelchair access with lifts to upper floors.
St Helen's Lane, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1UR
Medieval chapel, first mentioned in 1076. Saxon in origin, built on Roman foundations and rebuilt several times. Now used as a Greek Orthodox Church.
Access Information: Step into the property.
Directions: In the Dutch Quarter just off the High Street.
East Hill, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2QL
Dating from the late 12th / early 13th century, with later additions, and restoration in the 19th century. Features include 18th and 19th century paintings, 17th century brasses and the church organ. John Ball, leader of the Peasants' Revolt of 1381, used to preach at this church.
51 Priory Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2QB
Built in 1837 and designed by John Joseph Scholes, a leading Roman Catholic architect and scholar, this church was the first post-reformation Catholic Parish Church in Colchester. Built in white brick in the Norman style, without a tower but with Gothic style turrets. The wide interior consisting of Norman columns. Early 20th century extensions, and a new chapel in 1987. Stained glass windows. On Thursday there will be a sacred painting exhibition and talk by the artist. On Friday there will be a talk on St Helena. On Saturday thre will be tours, talks, an art exhibiton and organ recital.
Access Information: Wheelchair access to church, tea rooms and toilets.
Additional Information: Refreshments available Saturday 1030-1530. Salads and rolls 1200-1430 (vegetarian and vegan available).
St John's Green, Colchester, Essex, CO2 7HA
Early 15th century gatehouse, with flint flushwork, a vaulted roof and battlements flanked by pinnacled corner turrets. A narrow winding staircase leads up to the main room. Historical associations with Richard III and the English Civil War, from which battle scars are still visible. On Sunday there will also be a talk on Thomas and Oliver Cromwell, looking at the impact of their decisions on this Abbey. And, in the afternoon: Poetry at the gatehouse – a reading of a selection of poems from throughout history related to this site. Bring a seat if you prefer not to stand.
Access Information: No wheelchair access up the tower, but can view the gatehouse at ground level.
Military Road, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2AN
The Garrison Church was built in 1856. Timber construction with slate roof built for services holding up to 900 people, is the last building of its kind left. Restored 1891 and 1989, re-opened by Russian Orthodox Church in 2009 after being left redundant for two years.
Hythe Hill, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2LW
A rare opportunity to view this mainly 14th century building, with impressive tower, which carries scars from the Civil War in the form of bullet holes in the south door. Sailors' graves in the church yard.
West Stockwell Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1HQ
Medieval church with impressive 14th century roof, wall painting and Norman tower that was badly damaged during the 1648 Siege of Colchester. Now managed by the Churches Conservation Trust.
Directions: Just off High Street - West Stockwell Street is next to the Town Hall, visible by its tall clock tower.
St Mary's Old Church, Hall Road, West Bergholt, Colchester, Essex, CO6 3DU
A mainly 14th century church, although the north wall dates from the original Saxon church of c.1000AD using recycled Roman bricks. King James I had a Royal coat of arms painted in the church, which can still be seen. Queen Elizabeth I had to step in twice to discipline vicars of the church: the first was when Rev Tarrell failed to turn up at evensong, failed to give a woman the last rites as he was in the pub, and most seriously didn't read out Henry VIII’s latest religious doctrine (he escaped the death penalty that this offence carried); the second occasion was when Rev Kyrby refused to conduct a service in English, preferring Latin, and the Queen removed him from his post. In 1556 a parishioner was burned at the stake for refusing to attend church. There will be an art exhibition (professional and amateur) and refreshments. Walk-around guides are available for 50p.
Additional Information: The church became redundant in 1975 and is now cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust.
Church Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1NF
A late 19th century church with a medieval tower, which was badly damaged during the Civil War in 1648. Tours of the tower are available from where you can see clear views of Colchester. Site is now used as an arts venue.
Access Information: Wheelchair access in church, but not on the tower tours.
Directions: Next to the Mercury Theatre, just off Head Street.
18 West Stockwell Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1HN
Built around 1350, this superb example of a medieval inn re-opened in 2013 following a £1 million renovation during which was discovered an inglenook fireplace now restored to its former glory. A 14th century archway, dragon’s tail ceiling joists, crown posts and medieval carvings make this a wonderful place to visit. Artefacts found during the renovation are on display. Colchester Town Watch will have armour and weapons for visitors to try on and explore (Saturday). A local archaeologist will be on hand to talk about and show some artefacts found during the building’s renovation (Sunday).
Directions: West Stockwell Street comes off High Street next to the Town Hall.
King Edward Quay, The Hythe, Colchester, Essex, CO2 8JB
'Colne Estuary Preserved Buses' display a selection of vehicles that would have been seen on Colchester's streets in years gone by. Approximately 10 vehicles will be on display.
Access Information: Toilets available on light ship, adjacent to the display (access via gangway, not accessible to wheelchairs).
Directions: This event takes place on the quayside near the red light ship.
High Street, Dedham, Essex, CO7 6UL
Sherman's House is a beautiful Georgian fronted medieval townhouse in Dedham High Street. It has connections with the famous Sherman family and was once a school.
High Street, Stebbing, Dunmow, Essex, CM6 3SE
The Stebbing Meeting House is the earliest Quaker meeting house in Essex. Built c.1674 it is a particularly fine and complete example of an early Quaker meeting house. Its historical importance is recognised by its Grade II* status.
Directions: Follow sings for Stebbing off B1256 turn at the church towards village. House is 500 yards on the left.
Chelmsford Road, Great Waltham, Essex, CM3 1AR
You will be able to climb to the top of the church tower and take in the fabulous panoramic views over the surrounding countryside.
Access Information: People should take the utmost care as the stairs in the church tower are very steep and uneven.
Additional Information: Max 8 people per tour/event. You will also be most welcome to visit our beautiful Grade I Listed church.
Directions: Located in the centre of the village. Behind the War Memorial if coming from Chelmsford.
109 Head Street, Halstead, Essex, CO9 2AZ
See the 2012 'Shed of the Year' category winner! A fully eqipped 1950s post office, 1937 telephone kiosk and, new for 2013, the even bigger and better "Astwood Bank Post Office" shed houseing 115 restored British post boxes. Dressing up, use of l.s.d money, stamps etc. Hands on history!
Access Information: Stout shoes needed in inclement weather
Additional Information: Only chance to view this private collection in 2013.
Directions: 1/4 mile north of town centre on A134 Sudbury Road.
180 Bishopsfield, 77 Bishopsfield, Harlow, Essex, CM18 6UT
Two private residences in the award-winning Michael Neylan's development. These courtyard and podium dwellings in Bishopsfield reflect the creative approach to housing encouraged by Frederick Gibberd's master plan for Harlow New Town. The staggered set of 256 dwellings at Bishopsfield is based on the winning design submitted to an open competition held in 1961. The brief by Harlow Development Corporation sought to give architects “a freer hand to solve the old problems in new way”. The first prize went to Michael Neylan, a 24 year old graduate. Widely published in the architectural press, Bishopsfield’s plans informed generations of architects, planners and students in Britain and overseas.
Booking Details: A family home with the owner in residence so pre-booking essential Contact: Pauline Hockley Call: 07812 185676 Email: email@example.com Write to: Bishopsfield, Heritage Open Days, Friends of Harlow Museum, Muskham Road, Harlow CM20 2LF Booking opens: 14 July 2013 10:00 Booking closes: 13 September 2013 16:00
Access Information: Accessibility to the property is difficult. It is possible to take a wheelchair to the house entrance, but not inside.
Additional Information: Max 7 people per tour/event. Car parking is usually taken up by residents, but there is street parking in the vicinity.
Directions: Turn off Southern Way on to Partridge Road and Bishopsfield is on the left.
Harlow Museum & Walled Gardens, Muskham Road, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2LF
Visitors can watch and enjoy our local group of Spinners and Weavers as they continue traditional crafts at Harlow Museum. We will offer a special tour and talk about the history of the Museum, from its early days as the stables to Mark Hall Manor House, when Queen Elizabeth came to stay on a number of occasions, up to the present day. There will also be a chance to catch a glimpse of some of our rarely see treasures in the collection behind the scenes. And to round off the day, some traditional cream scones and jam might go down well. Our Walled Gardens are also ideal for a family picnic if you want to make a day of it! We are a family-friendly visitor centre, with special activities for children, including explorers' gear, affordable goodies at our small souvenir shop and plenty to see and do for younger ones. We have on site baby change facilities for little ones and will be happy to try and help with any particular needs if you let us know in advance.
Access Information: Our pathways are mostly gravel surfaced.
Additional Information: Max 15 people per tour/event.
Directions: Close to Junction 7 of the M11. Full directions are on the Visitor Info section of our website, www.science-alive.co.uk
Harlowbury Manor, Old Road, Old Harlow, Harlow, Essex, CM17 0HE
Norman chapel built by the abbots of Bury St Edmunds in 1180 on the site of an earlier building. Lovingly restored in 1985. In grounds of a medieval manor which dates from 1221. Exhibits of historic information.
Additional Information: No parking in the grounds of the house. Parking in the field at the chapel only.
St Paul's Church, College Square, Harlow, Essex, CM20 1LP
Free home-made cake, teas and coffees. See the fabulous John Piper mosaic featuring the Emmaus Road story from St Luke's Gospel.
Directions: In Harlow Town Centre, next to the Playhouse Theatre. There is nearby car parking in the Harvey Centre Car Park, and in the Water Gardens Car Park
Parndon Hall, Princess Alexandra Hospital , Hamstel Road, Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX
In the midst of Harlow New Town, at the back of the site of Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust, stands Parndon Hall. The house was built in 1867 for Loftus Arkwright, the great grandson of Richard Arkwight of Derbyshire, who was a cotton industry entrepreneur involved at the very beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Loftus' wife Elizabeth (nee Reynolds) was a gifted horsewoman and artist and on moving into her new home, set about decorating the house with murals of a most extraordinary kind. The house is used as the Education Centre for Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust and the rooms of the family home now have very different uses, but the layout remains relatively unchanged. There will be an exhibition, a short talk on the history of the house followed by guided tours. Refreshments, books and postcards will be on sale. A large number of the paintings in the house depict children and animals (but it should be noted that there are large number of nude female figures portrayed as well). The history of the Arkwright family covers 1732 to the present day; the Industrial Revolution; families and their legacies; post-war New Town planning so may be of interest to students.
Booking Details: All tours are guided, but there is time to linger in the main hall and outside area Contact: Pauline Hockley Call: 07812185676 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Write to: Parndon Hall Booking, Friends of Harlow Museum, Muskham Road, Harlow, CM20 2LF Booking opens: 14 July 2013 10:00 Booking closes: 13 September 2013 17:00
Access Information: The ground floor of Parndon Hall is accessible to wheelchairs and pushchairs where the talk will take place and most of the art is visible . Disabled toilet and women's toilets are situated on the Ground Floor, men's toilet on first floor. A staircase is the only access to the first floor where there are rooms to see and some more wall paintings.
Additional Information: Max 20 people per tour/event. This is a Victorian family home situated in the heart of Harlow with an interesting family history connection. Frederick Gibberd's post-war planning ensured the preservation of old houses and churches wherever possible. Parndon Hall is a work-place for staff of Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust and is equipped as such.
Directions: The large red brick mansion with Portland Stone dressing is situated among pine trees in the north west corner of the hospital site. Visitors at the weekend should drive on to the Hospital site from Hamstel Road and use the Pay and Display car park (£3) or park in the public Wych Elm car park and walk across to the hospital, following the road to the house. You can make use of Harlow's excellent cycle ways to reach Parndon Hall. Harlow Town Station is a fifteen minute walk and the bus station ten minutes through the town centre.
St John's ARC, St John's Walk, Market Street, Harlow, Essex, CM17 0AJ
Exhibitions of local history, vintage toys and paintings. Live music. Refreshments available.
Marsh Lane, Harlow, Essex, CM17 0NA
The Gibberd Garden has been described by BBC Gardener’s World as “one of the most important post-war gardens in the country... where sculpture and plants complement each other perfectly." It is an inspirational 7 acre garden with over 80 post-war sculptures and architectural pieces set in a series of enchanting spaces, including formal lawns, ornate terraces, a dramatic mature lime avenue, pools, streams and glades. Sir Frederick Gibberd was master-planner for Harlow New Town and his original plan for the town is regarded by many as his greatest achievement. He bought this property in Marsh lane in 1955 and set about creating the Garden you see today. The Gibberd Rooms (Sir Frederick's former house) open on timed entry, 3-5pm, tickets from our shop. We welcome children and families and the Garden is inspiring for children of all ages - with lots of places to hide and seek, space to run around, and a thrilling moated castle and swings. Sculpture map available for older children to hunt down sculptures - many fascinating animals and figures among them. Family friendly tearoom - with cake, ice cream, hot and cold drinks -plus high chairs; baby change in the disabled toilet. Toys, alongside local arts & crafts, for sale in our shop.
Access Information: We welcome all visitors, the following facilities are available: 1) designated disabled parking area outside the Visitor Centre and Barn tea-room, 2) a disabled toilet and disabled access to the tea-room, 3) there are a number of level paths around the Garden and direct access to the House, which are indicated on the Sculpture Map obtainable from the shop,4) the Garden has one wheelchair available for the free use of visitors - please ask in the Shop. Wheelchair access to all parts of the Garden will depend on ground condition.
Additional Information: Tea Rooms open 1200-1630; Ploughman’s Lunches: 1200-1400; Heritage Teas: 1400-1630. The Gibberd Garden Trust is a registered charity no: 1053608, run almost entirely by some 100+ volunteers for the past 20 years. You can support our work by joining as a Friend of the Garden - giving unlimited access to the Garden on public open days (Wed, Sat, Sun & Bank Hol Mons 2-6pm), April - end September (with occasional special out of season open days). Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for event updates and garden news.
Directions: The Gibberd Garden is on Marsh Lane, which is a turning off Gilden Way, the B183 from Harlow to Sheering and Hatfield Heath. The Satnav. reference is CM17 0NA and the Grid Reference TL48368-12519. Directions from M11 (Junction 7): Take A414 towards Hertford. Go through three roundabouts and turn right at the fourth (B183 to Hatfield Heath, Brown sign). Continue straight through two more roundabouts, when you will come upon a quarter mile straight road (Gilden Way). At the end of this straight there is a brown sign on the right pointing left to Marsh Lane and the entrance to the Garden.
Main Road, Dovercourt, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3HJ
This is a small Nature Reserve with a lake, cared for by the Harwich Society, which represents an oasis of tranquillity between a supermarket and a pub - many local people do not even know it is there!
Access Information: Parking available in Asda Supermarket Car Park. Boardwalk across lake not accessible by the disabled.
Ha' Penny Pier Visitor Centre, The Quay, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3HH
Guided walking tour lasting approximately 90 minutes. Five centuries of history concentrated on the Harwich Town area. Meet at Ha' Penny Pier Visitor Centre.
Angel Gate, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3EJ
Dedicated to RNLI and other lifeboat services, located in the original lifeboat shed. There is a full-size lifeboat which is accessible.
Access Information: Ladder access to upper level.
Low Lighthouse, St Helen's Green, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3NL
Museum dedicated to the history of Harwich Harbour. It is set in a disused lighthouse.
Access Information: Museum housed on three floors with steep steps to the top of the lighthouse.
Additional Information: Public toilets nearby.
Barrack Lane, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3NP
One of the earliest developments of radar in WWII - used to detect 'E' boat attacks on RN Destroyer Base.
Access Information: Two flights of stairs to climb to access the whole building.
Main Road, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3LT
180 feet diameter circular fort built in 1808 to defend Harwich against invasion by Bonaparte. Lovingly restored and holds many interesting artefacts.
Access Information: The approach to the site requires that the Glacis is climbed. This is steep so may be unsuitable for wheelchair users.
The Guildhall, 11 Church Street, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3DS
Historic Grade I Listed building. Originally the Bear Inn, brought in 1673, rebuilt in 1769 and converted into a Guildhall and Gaol. Houses Regalia dating back to 1605 and the old Gaol, on the ground floor, has wall carvings of ships by French prisoners, dating back to the late 1700s. See the Council Chamber and former Magistrates Court on the first floor.
Booking Details: Groups of 15+ must pre-book Contact: Lucy Ballard Call: 01255 507211 Email: email@example.com Go to: http://www.harwichtowncouncil.co.uk Write to: 11 Church Street, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3DS Booking opens: 24 June 2013 09:00 Booking closes: 6 September 2013 14:00
Access Information: Building entrance does not have a ramp for wheelchairs for pushchairs/prams. Single step entrance through single front door. Space is limited on the ground floor. No lift to first floor; stairs only. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Additional Information: Max 30 people per tour/event.
Directions: Located opposite the former 3 Cups Public House in Old Harwich just before St Nicholas Church
St Helen's Green, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3NL
The only British example of a two-wheeled, man-operated treadwheel crane, built in 1667 at a cost of £392 when Harwich had a Royal Navy yard.
The Quay, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3HH
The information centre is based in the old ticket office on ha'penny pier. It also has a room dedicated to a 1953 Flood Exhibition, depicting how Harwich and its population were affected by the great east coast flood 60 years ago.. Full information about all the local Heritage Open Days sites and events will be available here as well as free guided walks of the Maritime Trail, lasting approx 90 mins.
Access Information: Public toilets nearby.
Feering and Kelvedon Museum, Maldon Rd, Kelvedon, Kelvedon, Essex, CO5 9BA
A small museum dedicated to the history of our villages, housed in the old British school. Quiz and Trail for younger children
Near 2 Feering Hill, Feering, Kelvedon, Essex, CO5 9NH
We would like to invite you to join us as we step back in time and celebrate the restoration of this historic site, and a historic time in Kelvedon’s Past. Medieval folk will be camped at the bridge over the weekend, showing various crafts, cooking medieval food and will happily talk to visitors about their day-to-day lives. Visitors will be able to handle many recreated objects, ask questions, try their hand at various crafts and games, while listening to music from a bygone age, and watch a puppet show. Puppet shows, music and dancing
Littled Braxted Lane, Little Braxted, Essex, CM8 3EU
This pretty little church which dates from the 12th century was dramatically 'restored' and decorated in the late 19th century by the rector and architect Ernest Geldart. The interior boasts a dazzling scheme of Victorian stained glass, furnishing and intricate wall paintings.
Church Lane, Little Totham, Essex, CM9 8LU
Stewards will be available to guide visitors around this Norman and Medieval church. In contrast to the simple design of the exterior, within the south porch is the most highly decorated Norman doorway in the district with a fine early 14th century door and iron work. The simple north door with its Saxon ironwork is one of the oldest recorded in England. Other items of interest include a fine Jacobean monument and the 250 year old domestic organ. Small parties will be guided up the timber framed tower to the bell chamber with its 15th and 17th century three bells.
Access Information: Access up tower via steep narrow steps.
2 High Beech Road, Loughton, Essex, IG10 4BL
Remains of the original Norwegian chalet style building 1899. An exhibition of historic bibles and Christian literature. Free refreshments.
Directions: Corner High Road Loughton and High Beech Road opposite M&S Simply Food.
Lopping Hall, 189 High Road, Loughton, Essex, IG10 4LF
Lopping Hall is a fascinating building built in 1884 and given to the people of Loughton in return for their lopping rights in Epping Forest. Take a tour of the building and find out about its past, present and future. There will be refreshments available and displays and performances put on by user groups. Meet a lopper of Epping Forest and find out about his life.
Directions: In Loughton High Road, next door to HSBC Bank and opposite The Hollybush pub.
Church Lane, Loughton, Essex, IG10 2QZ
Visitors can come and see inside the grade II listed chapel which has attractive stained glass windows and there are some commonwealth war graves in the cemetery.
Directions: Adjacent to Saint John's Church.
Loughton Masonic Centre, 16 High Beech Road, Loughton, Essex, IG10 4BL
Exhibition of Masonic memorabilia and history. Presentations from organisations supported by Freemasons in Essex, including hospices, schools and charities.
Access Information: Ground floor entrance and wheelchair lift to first floor.
Additional Information: Please come and ask questions, all will be welcomed.
Directions: Opposite one of the car parks in High Beech Road.
Beeleigh, Maldon, Essex
The remains of a five storey water and steam mill. While the water mill was destroyed by fire in 1875, the steam mill remains largely intact. A voluntary group of enthusiasts have launched the Beeleigh Mill Restoration Group in order to bring the mill into working order and to open it to the public. Guided tours will be provided by the Restoration Group. whilst there, explore the ancient hamlet of Beeleigh; leaflet and walking routes available from Maldon TIC.
Access Information: Access restricted by gravel drive and narrow entrances.
Additional Information: On the theme of industrial heritage, the Museum of Power is just a 15 - 20 minute walk away.
This picturesque little medieval church, isolated out on Dengie marshland, has been cared for by the Friends of Friendless Churches. An award-winning scheme of structural repair recently rescued the building from potential collapse. Special features of the church include its 16th century timber framed tower, 17th century north porch and 18th century wall paintings. Take time to wander along the adjacent footpath to view the ‘Petrified Oaks’, listed in the Domesday Book.
Access Information: Caution needed; track is a right of way for farm vehicles. Rough grass and low steps into church.
White Horse Lane, Maldon, Essex, CM9 5FW
A Georgian walled garden originally associated with the adjacent Mansion called Friary East. This hidden oasis of green in the town centre of Maldon is now maintained by the Maldon and Heybridge Horticultural Society as a working garden.
Access Information: Narrow gate and paths of grass and gravel. Gate suitable for standard wheelchair.
Goldhanger, Maldon, Essex
A one-hour tour of the village centre bringing the past of this small estuary community to life. The Square with the village well and pump, the Church, and the Chequers Inn have not changed for centuries. Rectory Farm, the mill, bakery, school, coastguard cottages and village shops are all still recognisable. Hear about the village’s involvement in fishing, smuggling, soft fruit growing, jam making, sea salt production, and the Great War. The tour finishes with the view of the estuary from the churchyard and a recommended route to the seawall. Alternatively, tour the Church or take refreshments in the 15th century inn.
Booking Details: Pre-booking essential Contact: Maldon Tourist Information Centre Call: 01621 856503 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Booking opens: 1 August 2013 10:00
Access Information: Directions will be given at the time of booking
Additional Information: Max 20 people per tour/event.
A two and a half hour guided circular walk around Beacon Hill, Great Totham, Wickham Bishops and Little Braxted looking at some of the buildings and places associated with Arthur Heygate Mackmurdo, architect, artist and social reformer, who lived and worked in the area from 1905 until his death in 1942. Throughout the walk, reference will be made to the guide's unique collection of early 20th century photographs.
Booking Details: Tours must be booked in advance Contact: Maldon Tourist Information Centre Call: 01621 856503 Email: email@example.com Booking opens: 1 August 2013 10:00
Additional Information: Max 16 people per tour/event.
St Peter's Church, Market Hill, Maldon, Essex, CM9 4PZ
Housed against and beneath the old tower of the medieval Church of St Peter, the Centre contains the nationally renowned Maldon Millennium Embroidery, artefacts and information of local archaeological interest, the Maldon Society photographic archives, exhibition of work by local artists and gift shop. Visitors are recommended to explore St Peter's churchyard garden which incorporates an attractive layout of paths, flower beds and interpretation boards.
Access Information: Exhibitions all on ground floor.
47 Mill Road, Maldon, Essex, CM9 5HX
This museum of social history of the Maldon District from the 19th and 20th centuries is housed in the former park keeper's dwelling and was built in 1915, with a bequest from T J D Cramphorn to the Maldon Borough Council. See a vintage Maldon Fire Engine, an original Penny Farthing bicycle, a nostalgic 1940s living room and much, much more of interest. Children's Play Area in the Park adjoins the Museum.
Access Information: There are 3 rooms on the first floor to which access is via stairs with grab-rails. No wheelchair access to this part of the building.
Butt Lane, Maldon, Essex, CM9 5HD
Maldon's Quaker Meeting House was built in 1821. This handsome little brick building is set back from the road in its graveyard. Internally, it comprises two separate rooms; originally one for women and one for men, although since 1830 men and women have met together. The Georgian benches and tiered elders' benches remain. Members of the church will be available to talk to visitors about the history of the Quakers in Maldon and their practice today.
Fullbridge, Maldon, Essex
Walking tours of Maldon's fascinating riverside history by historian Roger Beckett from Fullbridge to the Hythe Quay. Visit the nearby Naval and Maritime History Exhibition at the conclusion of the walk.
Booking Details: All tours must be pre-booked Contact: Maldon Tourist Information Centre Call: 01621 856503 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Booking opens: 1 August 2013 10:00
Access Information: Toilets available at Promenade Park adjacent to Hythe Quay.
Additional Information: Max 20 people per tour/event.
Spital Road, Maldon, Essex, CM9 6EA
Remains of an ancient Leper hospital founded, it is said, in 1164 during the reign of Henry II. St Giles is a unique survival of only 10 medieval hospitals recorded in Essex and is of national importance. Not normally open to the general public, stewards will be on hand to explain the significance of the monument.
Access Information: Over grass, no paths.
Hackman's Lane, Purleigh, Maldon, Essex
This is the only WWI airfield in the world that survives with the majority of its original buildings intact. Recently listed at Grade II*, the aerodrome is the subject of a sympathetic restoration project to return it to its former glory. As we approach the centenary of the outbreak of the Great War, the Aerodrome is an eloquent reminder of the bravery and sacrifices of the pilots, commemorating the earliest days of aerial combat, and the origins and proud tradition of the RAF. The Military Wives choir will perform in concert at 5pm on Saturday 14th. (Tickets available from Maldon TIC)
Booking Details: Admission on pre-booked tours only Contact: Maldon District TIC Call: 01621 856503 Email: email@example.com Booking opens: 1 August 2013 10:00
Access Information: Most of the site is wheelchair accessible but some surfaces are uneven.
Additional Information: Max 25 people per tour/event.
Directions: Directions to the venue will be given at the time of booking.
Hatfield Road, Langford, Maldon, Essex, CM9 6QA
The museum collection illustrates the theme of power. There are engines powered by steam, diesel, petrol and gas. The Langford Pumping Station was built in the 1920s to supply water to Southend-on-Sea District, and is home to what is believed to be the last manufactured Lilleshall triple expansion steam engine, commissioned in 1931. Other attractions include household bygones, Edwardian workshop, miniature steam railway, model village and riverside nature trail. The Steam Pump Tearoom offers a wide range of refreshments. Visit another industrial heritage site at Beeleigh Mill, a pleasant 15-20 minute walk from the Museum of Power via the stunning Beeleigh Falls and canal towpath. (See separate entry) The various children's activities include the Model Railway, a working Telephone Exchange to operate and a working model waterwheel.
Access Information: Disabled access to all levels.
Market Hill, Maldon, Essex, CM9 4PZ
On the site of the parish Church of St Peter's, the upper floor of the Plume building has housed Dr Thomas Plume's library since 1704. One of Plume’s many bequests was £1904 “to erect an Observatory and to maintain a studious and learned Professor of Astronomy and Experimental Philosophy ….” at Cambridge University. The Plume Lecture in November will be given by Robert C. Kennicutt Jr. FRS, Plumian Professor at the University of Cambridge and this has inspired the exhibition which will feature books from the Library’s astronomy collection. There will also be items on display from the Library’s archive which include information about the first lectures in the 18th century and the new series of Plume Lectures which began in 1975.
Access Information: Access by steep and narrow spiral staircase.
Additional Information: Max 10 people per tour/event.
Mistley Towers, High Street, Mistley, Manningtree, Essex, CO11 1HD
The remains of a church designed by Robert Adam and built in 1776, unusual in having towers at both the east and west ends. Children must take care not to climb over the Headstones
Additional Information: Max 100 people per tour/event.
Rayleigh Windmill , Bellingham Lane, Rayleigh, Essex, SS6 7ED
The Rayleigh Arts and Heritage Festival will take place in and around the Grade II Listed Rayleigh Windmill on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th Septermber. Activities, exhibitions, workshops on all floors of the Windmill, plus an Open Mic event and special activities outdoors including a visit from the Culture Cart. Full programme details available in June by visiting www.rochford.gov.uk/artsfestival or following @rochford_arts on Twitter
Access Information: The upper floors of the windmill are via steep steps. A camera on the ground floor provides 360 degree viweing of all upper floors. Please note that access to the windmill may be restricted in the event that the venue capacity is reached.
Saffron Walden Museum, Museum Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1JL
Activities in the Museum and Museum Grounds to share the results of our excavation on Saffron Walden Common, which explored the Norman origins of the Castle and Market Town. The project is funded by the Heritage Lottery 'All Our Stories' fund. Hands-on craft activities and excavation related fun!
Access Information: One small area of the Museum is not accessible by our lift, but we do have chair lifts. The Museum grounds is fully accessible to wheelchair users unless we have had unusually high levels of rain (i.e. it can get muddy)!
Additional Information: Our small car park will be closed during this event to make space for activities. Visitors will need to park in Swan Meadow Car Park or Saffron Walden Common.
Directions: Look out for the brown Museum signs around Saffron Walden and be aware that the Museum is on a one-way street.
Audley End, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB11 4JD
Take a guided tour of our beautiful buildings completed around 1600 as the Alms Houses for the Audley End Estate. Magnificent Great Hall, medieval stained glass windows, 17th Century fire surround. Treasure hunt "The Lost Treasure of Walden Abbey" - Explore the grounds with our fun treasure hunt.
Additional Information: Max 20 people per tour/event.
Directions: Drive down through Audley End village and up the gravel drive to The College of St Mark. Look for the Guests Entrance and pass under the archway to find the main entrance.
Sible Hedingham Village Hall, Parkfields (off Alexandra Road), Sible Hedingham, Essex, CO9 3NJ
A photographic exhibition of the company charting its history and legacy from 1890 to 1975. Each day there will be a walk to explore sites associated with the Ripper family.
Access Information: The walks will involve terrain not suitable for wheel chairs.
Prittlewell Priory, Priory Park, Victoria Avenue, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS2 6NB
Discover the Victorian residents of this wonderful Priory, the Scrattons', day to day life through their photographs, glass plate photography demonstrations throughout the day. Then enjoy cake, coffee and tea in our Visitor Centre.
Access Information: Excellent access for wheelchair uses. The Priory is a Grade 1 listed building, food, drink and flash photography and pushchair/prams are not allowed in the Priory. A buggy park is provided.
Directions: Watch out for the park railings, follow the signs for Southend United Football Club then look out for the brown signs off the A127 and A13. We are in the heart of the park.
Off Church Road, Burton End, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex, CM24 8UB
This medieval church, with parts dating from the 1100s, has a bold brick tower and stands next to the grounds of Stansted Hall in a peaceful setting despite the nearby motorway and airport. It contains two exceptional 17th-century tomb figures – wasp-waisted Hester Salisbury in her hunting clothes and her father, Sir Thomas Middleton.
Directions: Road directions: 3 miles north east of Bishop’s Stortford off B1383; follow signs to 'Norman Castle and The House on the Hill Toy Museum' in village centre and then keep right on Church Road; after 0.8 miles you pass the school on your right, church shortly afterwards down lane on your left. Public transport information: Nearest railway station: Stansted Mountfitchet (2 miles).
Hall Road, West Bergholt, Essex, CO6 3DU
St Mary’s is believed to have Saxon origins - though much of the church is 14th-century. Reused Roman bricks pepper the walls and buttresses, and the north wall is 1,000 years old. Remote from its village, the old church makes an attractive ensemble with the Georgian Hall and the pond across the lane. There are two intriguing Royal Arms – one a rare survivor from the reign of James I; the other in cast iron, made by a Colchester foundry in 1816. The atmosphere of St Mary’s is wonderfully, curiously still, with nothing but birdsong to break the peace.
Directions: Wooden signpost to church at the junction of the B1508 and Hall Road three miles NW of Colchester Public transport information Nearest railway station: Colchester (3 miles). Closest bus route number 753
Costume Stores Beecroft Art Gallery, Station Road, Westcliff on Sea, Essex, SS0 7RA
Exclusive behind the scene tours of our costume stores, housed at the Beecroft Art Gallery. A close up and detailed look at our hand bag and shoe collections. A chance to get up close and personal with our collections in the company of our Curatorial Manager and Conservator. Southend Museums Service has one of the best working clothes costume collections in the country.
Booking Details: Free but prebooking essential. Contact: Toni Mair Call: 01702 434449 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Go to: www.southendmuseums.co.uk Booking opens: 31 May 2013 09:00 Booking closes: 31 August 2013 17:00
Access Information: The costume stores are on the second floor and we have no disabled access to this area.
Additional Information: Max 8 people per tour/event. No children under 13 years old.