Seaton Delaval Hall, The Avenue, Seaton Sluice, Northumberland, NE26 4QR
Seaton Delaval Hall is a great house set in its own estate with lovely gardens and a fine collection; yet it is also much more. It is a signpost pointing to the diverse history of a family which acquired land here in the late 11th century. The house occupies the site of a Norman settlement, and its original Norman chapel remains in use today. Built between 1719 and 1730 for Admiral George Delaval, it is not only the finest house in the north east of England, but also among the finest works of its architect, Sir John Vanbrugh, one of the masters of English Baroque. For 900 years, the estate has been a stage for drama, intrigue and romance while the surrounding landscape has fuelled industrial revolution. The house has survived terrible fires, military occupation and potential ruin. If your little ones haven't tried our woodland play area yet, this is the perfect time to come and try it out.
This event took place in September 2013 and the entry is now archived.
Please be aware that the courtyard and some of the paths are gravelled, and there are some uneven paving stones. Appropriate footwear should be worn and care taken. The central hall is accessed via steps.
The hall is on the A190, and the X4 Arriva bus between Newcastle and Blyth stops at the main gate. Map link.
Date last modified: 14th May 2013 at 13:17