Down Lane, Compton, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1DQ
An extraordinary building covered in Celtic and Art Nouveau decoration. Designed by Mary Watts, wife of Victorian artist GF Watts O.M, R.A, in a Byzantine style with a Celtic Romanesque entrance. Decorated under her guidance by 74 Compton villagers, and consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester in July 1898. The domed interior is a dazzling celebration of the mystery of life, with crimson, gold and silver images linked by a tangle of wildflowers. Another of Mary’s designs is the cloister, on the slope behind the chapel, where her husband’s ashes rest beside her own. Many of the older tombstones in the cemetery were made at Compton Potters’ Art Guild, founded by Mary in the 1890s and closed in the 1950s.
This event took place in September 2013 and the entry is now archived.
Guides will be in the Chapel to talk to visitors each day from 1pm - 5pm.
Guildford Borough Council, Guildford Society and Guildford Tour Guides
Date last modified: 14th May 2013 at 15:03