Down Lane, Compton, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1DQ
Designed and built in 1903 -1904 and opened to the public 1 April 1904. The architect was Christopher Hatton Turnor. Designed in a vernacular style, the building served two purposes: • to house works by the eminent Victorian artist GF Watts O.M. R.A. • to provide housing for potters who came to the area to take part in the The Potters’ Arts Guild set up by Mary Watts in 1899. The sculpture gallery was added in 1906, with further additions in the 1920s. Watts Gallery was the subject of an award-winning restoration and re-opened to the public in 2011. It is the only purpose-built Gallery for a single-professional artist in the UK and one of the most beautiful small galleries in Europe.
This event took place in September 2013 and the entry is now archived.
Guildford Borough Council, Guildford Society and Guildford Town Guides
Date last modified: 14th May 2013 at 15:54