Take 5 with the Team
So May has arrived, with its bank holidays and bizarre weather (anyone else shivering in hailstorms?!). Much has been happening since we last ‘spoke’ but of course it’s just a taster for all that’s still to come, including new faces and new stories (Will you be amongst them?!) Read on for an update on how things run behind the scenes with the national festival team...
1 – Looking to grow with the summer sun!
Not only do we have the fabulous Francesca and Gemma back with us to head up our press communications, but we’re delighted to have some new opportunities for people to join the team. We have 2 paid posts and 1 voluntary opportunity. They may be short contracts but they will be JAM-PACKED thanks to the extraordinary jamboree that is the festival!
2 – Cooking up a festival feast
On that note… over 250 people attended our first interactive webinar launching registration in March and we’ve already received a tempting array of event registrations. And the lively discussions in our popular online Community Cafes have hinted at more delights to come; especially under our Edible England theme with stories ranging from a 20th century tourist guide sponsored by St Ivel cheese to the oldest evidence of salt working in Europe.
3 – Further tantalising the tastebuds
Alongside the delicious events being cooked up by our organisers, we’ve been exploring more tempting stories with guest bloggers. So far you can brush up your trivia bank for the next pub quiz with snippets about heritage fruit and veg, kitchen artillery at the National Trust and even hop over the border to discover some tales of illicit whisky in Scotland!
4 – New Wave
Our second cohort of organisers are well into their New Wave programme now, hearing from independent researchers, and learning from the experiences of staff at Beatfreaks, the Imperial War Museums and Culture24 to help them plan exciting new events with young adults.
5 – Making connections
Alongside the all-important General Festival Business, we’ve been making sure we stay connected to the wider sector, reaffirming old friendships and making new ones as we broaden our horizons… and spread the word about your festival! Highlights have included:
- European Heritage Days Coordinators Assembly – we shared our experiences from the past year with our wider colleagues across Europe and looked ahead to build on each other’s learnings for ever more inclusive festivals.
- International National Trust Organisations’ conference – we attended a 3 day programme of thought-provoking talks and discussions on building resilience with an inspirational keynote on Forgotten Histories by David Olusoga.
- Considering innovation in heritage – we contributed to a workshop run by The Young Foundation /National Lottery Heritage Fund who are working on new research in this area.
Find out more
- Got a story/place to share? Find out how you can join our festival community
- Missed an update? Look out for ‘Take 5 with the team’ posts in our Blog stream
- Not sure who people are? Please Meet the team
- Want a regular update on the festival and beyond? Sign up for our monthly newsletter