In 2023 we’ll be unwrapping the colourful history of creativity. From the famous to the ‘familiar only to locals’, and covering all areas of creativity from art to zoetropes*. We can’t wait to see and share what our festival community uncovers for this spotlight on the people and places who give England’s heritage the X factor!
*Zoetrope = an early animation device
What do we mean by creativity?
We want to celebrate the stories and work of the experts and enthusiastic amateurs who add that something extra to all aspects of our daily lives. So whether you’re thinking of the Arts with a capital ‘A’ or art in all its lowercase glory – from high-brow literature to slam poetry, Old masters to street art – we want to know your story!
All stories welcome!
- How Turner captured the Essex landscape / When Banksy visited Lowestoft!
- The boat builders and metalworkers of Sutton Hoo’s royal burial / Your local guerrilla knitting group
- Medieval knot gardens / Capability Brown landscapes / Your local park
- The building of St Paul’s Cathedral / The design of Beverley’s distinctive gas lamps
- Shakespeare’s sonnets / The tradition of local pantomimes – we’re behind you! Oh yes we are!
Who were the designers behind your building, park or garden? Has your town been immortalised in a song, painting or film? Are there artists or creative figures with links to your local area? If you’ve got a story to share we’d love to hear from you.
- If you’re new to the festival read our handy how to get involved guidance
- If you’re registered as an organiser you’ll find our logo and design pack now in your Organiser area, with more to follow