Ring out the bells!
On the 8th September, from 6-7pm, a chorus of bells will ring out across England. The chorus will mark the opening of Heritage Open Days and your 4-day invitation to discover the history of bells, experience demonstrations and even have a go!
We’re delighted to be working with the Central Council of Church Bellringers to open up the heritage hidden inside England's bell towers and bring to life the 400-year old tradition of English-style bell ringing.
Some bell-issimo highlights
- Ring it loud and proud!... St Peter Mancroft, Norwich in Norfolk is said to be one of the most atmospheric ringing chambers in the country. Over Heritage Open Days you'll have the chance to ring their bells and make one of the loudest noises in the city!
- Double the ap-peal...St Giles's Church, Ashtead in Surrey will be ringing a full peal especially for the festival on Saturday morning, before giving visitors the chance to visit the tower and find out more, then listen again as they ring a quarter peal at 5pm.
- More than musical masterpieces... St James's Church, Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria will be showing you bells from all angles; as well as hearing them and seeing them swing you can find out about the engineering behind them and the mechanics of ringing.
- Bells on the move?! Winterbourne Medieval Barn near Bristol demonstrates that you don't have to be in a church to ring a bell - expert ringers will be using the Lichfield Diocesan Mobile Belfry to talk about the origins of ringing and demonstrate its art.
Join our #hodsbells check-in and make your presence known!
Are you on Facebook? Make your presence known with our mammoth #hodsbells check-in by following these simple steps:
1. Find the bell ringing event near you
2. Turn on the GPS on your phone
3. Go to your Facebook home page and select ‘check in’
4. Type in/ find ‘Heritage Open Days’, #hodsbells and the name of the church
5. Add a pic or video of the bell ringing
6. Post it to us!
We will post as many as we can on our Facebook stream.
Not on Facebook? Fear not! There are many other ways you can tell us about your #hodsbells event. Simply Instagram or tweet to @heritageopenday
- Check out the list of sites opening up their towers and ringing their bells for Heritage Open Days, is there one near you?
- Find the details on our directory using the 'bell ringing event' tick box on the Advanced search
- Ten things you didn't know about bellringing
- Look out for special spotlight blog posts on two bell ringing sites in the week of the festival
- Keep up with our twitter stream to find out about our latest National #hodsbells media activity
A huge thank you to all the ringers, church staff and volunteers taking part in the festival this year, handbells in hand we salute you and wish you a fabulous event!