Guided tours of St James Church, North Cray, Sidcup
St James Parish Church, North Cray Road, Sidcup, Greater London, DA14 5EQ
The church is set in beautiful surroundings on the edge of parkland belonging to the former North Cray Place, now part of the Foots Cray Meadows open space. The present church was built in three phases: the nave in 1850-52, the tower and shingled spire in 1856 and the chancel not until 1871-72. The material used is rock-faced ragstone and the style, simple decorated gothic, typical of the mid-nineteenth century and giving the building a medieval appearance. The architect of the church was Edwin Nash (1812-1884). church at North Cray was recognised when the building became Grade II listed in 1980.
Although Victorian, the church contains many items transferred from its predecessor dating back considerably earlier. The truly outstanding feature of the church is the carved woodwork in the chancel, dating from the 15th or 16th century. The finest monument is that to Octavia, Lady Ellenborough (d 1819) daughter of statesman and politician Lord Castlereagh (1769-1822). The monument by Sir Francis Chantrey, an outstanding sculptor and one of the most prolific of the Georgian period. Other features transferred from the old church include; an octagonal font perhaps dating from the 14th century and a remarkable oak carved oak pulpit dated 1637. There are many pieces of ancient stained glass in the church, mainly fragments of heraldic devices, presumed to have been transferred from the old church.
St James Parish Church, North Cray Road, Sidcup, Greater London, DA14 5EQ