New Town, Colchester guided walk
Wimpole Road Methodist Church, Wimpole Road, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2DN
New Town is the only part of Colchester designed to accommodate the upper, middle and working classes in marked contrast to the strict segregation of housing which was the norm in Victorian Britain. From 1878 the estate was developed by local architect James Goodey (1834-1910) and ultimately consisted of around 470 houses in New Town Road, Winnock Road, Winsley Road and Gladstone Road amongst others. It also includes the only ‘cement house’ in Colchester, New Town House built by Goodey for his own use. Goodey was a pioneer of using a very fine type of cement paste which set like a rock, which he termed ‘cement stone’, but this new material did not prove to be popular.
It is believed that most of the houses were built by the Colchester firm of Everetts who were based in Barrack Street. They had a brickworks off Land Lane, East Hill, where it is almost certain the bricks for the New Town Estate were made. The same brickworks also provided the bricks for the Jumbo water tower in Colchester.
Slightly later in date is the Methodist Church in Wimpole Road designed by Goodey and his partner W. T. Cressall in 1903-4 where this walk starts.
Wimpole Road Methodist Church, Wimpole Road, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2DN
Parking in New Town can be challenging at times. The nearest public car park is at the Old Heath Recreation Ground, Port Lane about five-minutes walk away.