St John The Baptist, Niton, Isle of Wight
St John the Baptist, Church Street, Niton, Isle of Wight, PO38 2BT
The Church of St John the Baptist, Niton, is one of the Isle of Wight’s most ancient parish churches, with origins dating to the 11th century. The church was founded by William FitzOsbern and given to an abbey in Normandy. The nave and the remarkable Norman cauldron-shaped font with rope moulding are thought to date from the 11th century. The chancel was rebuilt and the south porch added in the 14th century, and a chapel south of the chancel was added in the 15th century. The west tower, in three stages with a ribbed octagonal stone spire and iron weathercock, was completed in the 17th century. The north aisle was rebuilt in 1864 to designs by architect Cornewall Jones. The building is constructed of Isle of Wight stone rubble with ashlar dressings and tiled roofs. Interior features of note include a fine Flaxman medallion monument to George Arnold (d.1806) in the south chapel, the coat of arms of George III, and a handsome 17th-century carved oak chair. The church is Grade II* listed for its exceptional architectural and historic significance.
St John the Baptist, Church Street, Niton, Isle of Wight, PO38 2BT