Back to results

The History and Future of Trimley Railway Station @ 2 Sisters Art Centre

Two Sisters Arts Centre, High Road, Trimley St. Mary, Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 0SP

  • Multiple dates available
  • | In person
  • | Pre-booking not required
  • | Exhibition

An exhibition at the Sisters Art Centre about the history of Trimley Railway station and the efforts being made to save it.

Trimley railway station is a small but historically important station on the Felixstowe branch line, serving Trimley St Mary and, in practice, Trimley St Martin as well. It sits between Derby Road and Felixstowe, with services operated by Greater Anglia.
The station opened in 1891, after the Great Eastern Railway had taken over the Felixstowe line. The original branch line had opened in 1877, promoted by Colonel George Tomline’s Felixstowe Railway and Pier Company, partly to connect the Orwell/Felixstowe area with Ipswich and the wider railway network.
What makes Trimley especially interesting is its architecture. The station building was designed by W. N. Ashbee, the Great Eastern Railway’s chief architect, and is regarded as one of the rare examples outside Essex of the GER’s “New Essex” or “Ashbee” style: red brick, decorative timbering, vertical tiling and domestic-revival details. The Victorian Society describes it as an endangered historic building.

Timings

Saturday 19 September:
1000-1600
Sunday 20 September:
1000-1600

Location & directions

Two Sisters Arts Centre, High Road, Trimley St. Mary, Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 0SP

Directions:
Car parking avaialble on the opposite side of the road.
Contact on day:
David Gledhill
Telephone number:
+447950834751

Booking information

Pre-booking requirement:
Pre-booking not required

Back to results