Back to results

Eastgate Baptist Church, (beside the former Bus Station)

Eastgate Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2LR

  • 13 Sep 2025
  • In person
  • Pre-booking not required

Eastgate Baptist Church, (beside former Bus Station) dating from 1843, has many interesting features including a sunken baptistry beneath the alter, galleried first floor and helical winder staircase within the tower which spirals in two directions.

The Baptist church was founded in Lewes in 1784 moving to Eastgate Street in 1819. The present building was constructed in 1843 knapped flintwork and brick detailing. In 1870 an organ was acquired from Seaford Parish Church, being replaced with a new two-manual pipe organ in 1909.
In 1890 the building was repaired and restored with a communion rail was put around the platform, and a new pulpit built. The original church tower had been given a ‘pepper box’ ornamentation but by 1915 the tower it had become unsafe and was rebuilt and adapted to its present pyramid form. In 1937 the church opened Jubilee Hall and vestry, at the rear (west) of the church building.
Little East Street was altered as the first phase of the towns intended ‘inner relief road’ requiring the adjacent Sunday School to be demolished in 1967. A new church hall was opened on the opposite side of the church, facing East Street in 1970 and remodelled in 2008-09, as part of the ‘Hole in the Wall’ project involving large holes being knocked through the south wall of the church joining the two buildings. At the same time the church interior was updated with the removal of pews and glazed outer doors.
The church has a significant capacity with a galleried first floor accessed by an interesting helical winder staircase within the tower, which changes direction from a right to left spiral. The interior includes a baptism pool beneath the alter that is revealed by the removal of boards.

Timings & Tours

Saturday 13 September:
10.00 and 15.00

Location & directions

Eastgate Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2LR

Directions:
The church is prominent to visitors being at the entrance to the town from the east along Phoenix Causeway.
Contact on day:
Rev. Oliver Stopp
Telephone number:
+447581807060

Booking information

Pre-booking requirement:
Pre-booking not required

Accessibility details

Care is needed on the staircase the use of which is restricted to single users at any time. Once at the first floor level access is limited and care must be exercised because of changes in level and materials on the floor. The available handrails must be used at all times.

Additional information

The present building was constructed over 5 months in 1843. In 1870 an organ was acquired from Seaford Parish Church, and replaced with a new two-manual pipe organ in 1909. Whilst the pipes to this organ still remain, the organ itself was transferred to what is now the All-Saints Arts Centre. The Church has a number memorial tablets and plaques, including to those who gave their lives in the First World War. On the exterior there is recently restored memorial stone to the 17 men and women martyrs who died at the stake during the Marian persecution 1554-1557.

Check out our online channels

Back to results