Self-Guided Tour Of St Ives (Cambs) Architectural Landmarks - From The Bridge To The Quay
Bridge Street, St Ives, Cambridgeshire, PE27 5EH
The White Horse Inn (now Private Bridge House Apartments): Adjoining the Bridge on London Road this building now consists of handsome private dwellings. The Inn originally consisted of two large houses dating from 1690-1700, their architecture being typical for that period having steeply pitched roofs, with the gables rising above the line of the roof tiles.
The Manor House (now the delightful River Terrace Restaurant): To the left on Bridge Street and built around 1609, this lovely building was a survivor of the Great Fire. It was a timber-framed house of two storeys with attics and a tiled roof, and would once have been richly decorated inside with carved ceiling beams, stone fireplaces and panelled walls.
Bartons the Chemist (now a charity shop): Further down Bridge Street on the left was Bartons, which remains a good example of one of the fine old houses that once graced St Ives. Built in 1728, it is a large and solidly built 3-storey red-brick building. The current shop front, the oldest in St Ives, dates from 1820.
Enderby’s Mill (now residential properties): Turn into The Quay, and across the river, you can see the impressive steam-powered mill building known as Enderby’s Mill. When built in 1854 it was one of only two fully automated corn mills in the country but ceased milling in 1888. In 1901 it became Enderby’s Printing Mill and later housed various companies including, in the 1970s, Sir Clive Sinclair’s famous ‘Sinclair Radionics’. Today the site is residential.
Available anytime
Bridge Street, St Ives, Cambridgeshire, PE27 5EH