The Church on the Hill
War Hill, Mottram, Hyde, Greater Manchester, SK14 6JL
The Parish Church of St. Michael & All Angels, set on the top of Warhill in Mottram in Longdendale, is a beautiful Medieval building with a fine Victorian worship space at its heart. It was built in 1490 with a bequest from Edmund Shaa - the Lord Mayor of London who handed the crown of England to the Duke of Gloucester, making him Richard III. In 1855 the church had a major restoration by local architect E. H. Shellard, resulting in the perfect combination of 15th and 19th century styles we see today. Apart from that restoration, the layout of the building remains much as it was when it was built 500 years ago.
Come along and see:
• 15th century stone effigies of Sir Ralph (Ro) and Lady Elizabeth Staveley in their chapel
• 18th century marble statue of Reginald Bretland, Sergeant-at-Law
• 12th century ‘barrel’ stone font, the oldest item of furniture in the church
• finely carved alabaster pulpit in memory of E. H. Shellard
• Mottram village war memorial
and in the churchyard:
• the Old Hearse House
• Mottram Grammar School
• the bellringer's memorial
• the empty grave of Lewis Brierley, whose body was stolen by body snatchers in 1827
War Hill, Mottram, Hyde, Greater Manchester, SK14 6JL
Access to the chancel is via a 15cm step. Disabled drop off point at the church gates, then go back to Littlemoor Road to park.
Limited parking outside church. Additional parking available on Littlemoor Road.