Chapel of Rest, West Street Cemetery
57 West Street, Farnham, Surrey, GU9 7AP
The West Street cemetery was opened in 1856 by the newly appointed Farnham Burial Board. The Chapel of Rest is a Grade II Listed Building, constructed of the local chalk 'clunch' or malmstone. As first built it consisted of two chapels, one episcopal and one for dissenters, linked with a bridging section leaving a covered space for the hearse underneath. At a later date this space was taken into the building but from the inside you can still see the old arch.
The Chapel was closed in the 1980s and was empty for many years but it has recently been beautifully restored by Farnham Town Council and let to Ian Bishop, sculptor, who looks forward to welcoming visitors for Heritage Open Days to see demonstrations and work in progress.
This event took place in September 2016 and the entry is now archived.
The Farnham Society & Farnham Town Council
Date last modified: 31st July 2016 at 13:49