Properties and events in London 2018
Properties and events in London 2018
Here is a quick summary of events, for full details (and to check back for last minute changes) please see www.heritageopendays.org.uk.
Heritage Open Days 2018 will be 6-9 & 13-16 September.
Crystal Palace Subway - Open Day
Crystal Palace Subway, Crystal Palace Parade, London, Greater London, SE19 1LG
The Crystal Palace subway is a beautifully designed and crafted relic of Victorian construction hidden under the A212 at Crystal Palace Parade.…
We are delighted to be participating in Heritage Open Days again this year.
The Crystal Palace subway is a beautifully designed and crafted relic of Victorian construction hidden under the A212 at Crystal Palace Parade. Despite the unglamorous location the Grade II listed subway is a source of pride for those locals who know
• Opening will not be ticketed, please turn up and queue.
• Be aware that queues can be up to an hour or more as limited numbers of people are allowed in the subway at any one time.
• Access limited to 20 mins per visit depending on length of queue.
• Due to the age and nature of the site, there is no wheelchair access available
• Scooters, bikes and buggies to be left at road level at ‘buggy park’
• Only assistance dogs allowed
- Sat 8 Sept: 1000 - 1600
Booking Details: No booking required
Access Information: •Unfortunately, the subway does not have wheelchair or pushchair access and dogs are not allowed. •You are advised to wear closed toe shoes rather than sandals. As a small volunteer group we do not have the capacity to answer the large number of enquiries we receive, please help us out by checking the FAQ page on our website before contacting us directly http://www.cpsubway.org.uk/index.html
Additional information: •Opening will not be ticketed, please turn up and queue. •Be aware that queues can be up to an hour or more as limited numbers of people are allowed in the subway at any one time. •Access limited to 20 mins per visit depending on length of queue.
Dora House - home of the Royal Society of Sculptors
Royal Society of Sculptors, 108 Old Brompton Road, London, Greater London, SW7 3RA
The Royal Society of Sculptors was created more than 100 years ago to champion contemporary sculpture and the artists who create it. Today we…
The Royal Society of Sculptors was created more than 100 years ago to champion contemporary sculpture and the artists who create it.
Join us for a look around the historic Dora House and catch the last weekend of our members’ Summer Exhibition.
The Royal Society of Sculptors was created more than 100 years ago to champion contemporary sculpture and the artists who create it. Today we welcome everyone interested in exploring this art form and its many possibilities.
We are based in London’s South Kensington, a few minutes’ walk from its great museums, in a beautiful listed building called Dora House.
Join us for a look around Dora House and catch the last weekend of our members’ Summer Exhibition.
- Sat 15 Sept: 1200-1700
- Sun 16 Sept: 1200-1700
Booking Details: No booking required
Directions: We're next door to the Esso garage.
Dorich House Museum
67 Kingston Vale, London, Greater London, SW15 3RN
Dorich House was the home of Dora Gordine and her husband the Hon Richard Hare, a scholar of Russian art and literature. Now Grade II listed, the…
The former studio home of Russian sculptor Dora Gordine and one of London’s hidden gems, Dorich House Museum is located a ‘Deer’s Leap’ from Richmond Park in South West London.
Dorich House was the home of Dora Gordine and her husband the Hon Richard Hare, a scholar of Russian art and literature. Now Grade II listed, the building was completed in 1936 to Gordine’s design, and is an exceptional example of a modern studio house created by and for a female artist. Following Gordine’s death in 1991 the house was acquired and renovated by Kingston University and is now open to the public as a fully accredited museum. In the spirit of Gordine’s exemplary life and career, the Museum operates as an international centre to promote and support women creative practitioners.
The Museum holds the world’s largest collection of Gordine’s work, which spans her artistic career. Alongside work completed at Dorich House from the mid-1930s are examples of her early paintings, drawings and sculptures, produced in Paris and south-east Asia from the late 1920s. Also on permanent display is an important collection of Russian art and artefacts, acquired by Gordine and Hare during their marriage.
- Thurs 6 Sept: 11:00-17:00
- Fri 7 Sept: 11:00-17:00, Tour 11:30
- Sat 8 Sept: 11:00-17:00, Tour 11:30
- Sun 9 Sept: Closed
- Thurs 13 Sept: 11:00-17:00
- Fri 14 Sept: 11:00-17:00, Tour 11:30
- Sat 15 Sept: 11:00-17:00, Tour 11:30
- Sun 16 Sept: Closed
Contact: Dorich House Museum Call: 020 8417 5515 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Go to: https://www.dorichhousemuseum.org.uk/visit/ Booking opens: 20 June 2018 Booking closes: 6 September 2018
Access Information: The Museum is located over four floors. There are 78 steps to the top floor, which is accessed via a narrow staircase. The Museum currently has no wheelchair accessible toilets. We apologise that we are unable to offer full access for all physical abilities at this time. Kingston University is working to improve access for all visitors.
Additional information: Max 20 people per tour/event. Event Duration: 1hour 30mins.
Directions: Getting to Dorich House Museum By Train & Bus: Trains run regularly from London Waterloo to Kingston or Putney stations. From Kingston station take bus 85 or K3 from bus stop A2 or A1 at nearby Cromwell Road bus station. From Putney station take bus 85 (direction Kingston) from bus stop E. The stop for Dorich House Museum is Woodview Close. By Car: The Museum is on Kingston Vale, close to Robin Hood Roundabout on the A3. From the A3 take the A308 exit, marked Kingston. The Museum car park is free and has space for up to 20 cars.
Dr Johnson’s House
Dr Johnson's House, 17 Gough Square, London, Greater London, EC4A 3DE
Today, the House is open to the public with a collection relating to Johnson, a research library, restored interiors and a wealth of original…
Dr Johnson's House is a charming 300-year-old townhouse, nestled amongst a maze of courts and alleys in the historic City of London. Samuel Johnson, the writer and wit, lived and worked here in the middle of the eighteenth century.
Today, the House is open to the public with a collection relating to Johnson, a research library, restored interiors and a wealth of original features. Often described by visitors as a hidden gem, 17 Gough Square is a tranquil spot in the midst of the bustling City.
Mull over Johnson's great Dictionary in the Garret where it was written, try on our Georgian costumes and explore with the family trail and explore the seventeenth- and eighteenth-century architecture.
- Sun 9 Sept: 1100 - 1730
- Sun 16 Sept: 1100 - 1730
Booking Details: No booking required
Access Information: There is regrettably no wheelchair access to Dr Johnson's House. A DVD is available to borrow and The audio-tour is available to visually impaired visitors free of charge.There are many steps at Dr Johnson's House. There are seven steps to access the entrance (with a handrail). The building is a four-storey townhouse with a staircase between each floor. There are handrails on each side of the staircase and visitor seating in every room. Visitors who are unable to manage the stairs can use the audio-visual guide free of charge. There is parking for blue badge holders nearby.
Extraordinary Women | Alicia, Duchess Dudley
St. Giles in the Fields Church, St. Giles High Street, London, Greater London, WC2H 8LG
As part of the Extraordinary Women theme, St Giles-in-the-Fields is commissioning a site-specific dramatic piece presenting the life of Alicia,…
A specially commissioned, site-specific piece of drama presenting a first hand account of the life of Alicia, Duchess Dudley, a remarkable 17th / 18th century woman.
As part of the Extraordinary Women theme, St Giles-in-the-Fields is commissioning a site-specific dramatic piece presenting the life of Alicia, Duchess Dudley, whose father-in-law was suitor to Elizabeth I, whose husband deserted her and moved to Italy, who raised seven children, was impoverished and later redeemed by Charles I when made a Duchess for life and who went on to become a benefactor to St Giles itself and supporter of many charitable causes. She died in 1669 having outlived all her daughters except one.
- Sat 8 Sept: Performances at 12.00, 14.00 and 16.00
- Sat 15 Sept: Performances at 12.00, 14.00 and 16.00
Booking Details: No booking required
Additional information: Max 12 people per tour/event. Event Duration: 20 minutes plus time to look around the Church.
Directions: At the end of Denmark Street, between Charing Cross Road and Shaftesbury Avenue and in the shadow of Centre Point.
House Mill (A Tidal Mill), Bromley by Bow, London
The House Mill , Three Mill Lane, Bromley by Bow , London, Greater London, E3 3DU
The House Mill was originally built in 1776 by Daniel Bisson, on the site of an earlier mill and between two houses occupied by the miller and his…
The World's Largest Tidal Mill. 5-storey, timber-framed, brick-clad timber watermill with four waterwheels, originally built 1776 to mill grain for distillery trade. Operational until 1940. On the historic 3 Mills Site.
The House Mill was originally built in 1776 by Daniel Bisson, on the site of an earlier mill and between two houses occupied by the miller and his family, hence its name. The current building dates from around 1802. The House Mill continued to operate until 1941
The Clock Mill opposite was rebuilt in 1817 and continued to work until 1952. Exterior view only No public access.
In 1989 work began on the House Mill and the fabric of the Mill has been fully restored. As part of the work to restore the site, the Miller’s House, which had been demolished in the late 1950s, was reconstructed in 1993/4. The façade was rebuilt to the 1763 design with reused 18th century bricks. Using many of the original materials recovered from the site. The ground floor of the Miller’s House has been reconstructed as original, whilst the rest of the building is a new structure.
The Miller’s House provides a visitor, information, and education centre. It was funded by the European Union. In 1996 it won a Civic Trust Commendation for outstanding architecture.
There is a small café which will be open during the event.
- Thurs 6 Sept: 1200 to 1500. Tours Hourly, the last at 2pm
- Fri 7 Sept: 1200 to 1500. Tours Hourly, the last at 2pm
- Sat 8 Sept: 1200 to 1500. Tours Hourly, the last at 2pm
- Sun 9 Sept: 11am to 4pm, The Last at 3.15pm
- Thurs 13 Sept: 1200 to 1500. Tours Hourly, the last at 2pm
- Fri 14 Sept: 1200 to 1500. Tours Hourly, the last at 2pm
- Sat 15 Sept: 1200 to 1500. Tours Hourly, the last at 2pm
- Sun 16 Sept: 11am to 4pm, The Last at 3.15pm
Tours Must be booked Weekdays and Saturdays due to restricted hours Contact: The House Mill Trust Call: 02089804626 Email: email@example.com Go to: http://www.housemill.org.uk/contact-us/ Booking opens: 2 September 2018 Booking closes: 5 September 2018
Access Information: On Weekdays and Saturdays Visits will be hourly and must be pre-booked through our website at: http://www.housemill.org.uk/contact-us/ . On Sundays we are fully open with the last tour at 3.15pm Disabled access is limited to the Ground Floor
Additional information: Max 18 people per tour/event. Event Duration: 1 hour max.
Directions: Underground: The nearest station is Bromley-by-Bow, which is served by the Hammersmith & City and District lines and is a 5-minute walk away. DLR: The nearest DLR stations are Abbey Road, Bow Church, Devons Road, Pudding Mill Lane and Stratford High Street, and all are a 10-minute walk away. Bus: Bus routes 108 and 488 stop outside Tesco, Three Mill Lane – a 3-minute walk away. Routes 25, 276 and 425 stop at Stratford High Street Bow Flyover – a 5-minute walk away
London Fo Guang Shan
London Fo Guang Temple, 84 Margaret Street, London, Greater London, W1W 8TD
Thursday, 13/9 Special activity: TEA & ZEN - 1PM AND 3PM (Maximum at each sitting is 12 persons) Saturday, 15/9 Special activities: MEDITATION…
Guided tour of the heritage, Chinese calligraphy, tea & zen, meditation, sutra transcription and vegetarian cooking demonstration. Some of these activities will be done at specified times, please see below:
Thursday, 13/9 Special activity: TEA & ZEN - 1PM AND 3PM (Maximum at each sitting is 12 persons)
Saturday, 15/9 Special activities:
MEDITATION - 2PM TO 3PM
VEGETARIAN COOKING DEMONSTRATION - 3PM TO 4PM (Maximum 20 persons)
Sunday, 16/9 Special activities:
SUTRA TRANSCRIPTION - 1:30PM TO 3PM
TEA & ZEN - 3PM (NO LIMIT)
- Thurs 6 Sept: 0930-1700, open to public. No special activities.
- Fri 7 Sept: Closed
- Sat 8 Sept: 0930-1700, open to public. No special activities.
- Sun 9 Sept: 0930-1700, open to public. No special activities.
- Thurs 13 Sept: 0930-1700, Special Activity - Tea & Zen 1300 & 1500 (Max. 12 persons per session)
- Fri 14 Sept: CLosed
- Sat 15 Sept: 0930-1700, Special Activities - Meditation 1400-1500, Vegetarian Cooking Demonstration 1500-1600 (Max. 20)
- Sun 16 Sept: 0930-1700, Special Activities - Sutra Transcription 1330-1500, Tea & Zen 1500-1400
Booking Details: No booking required
Access Information: Wheelchair - not accessible
Additional information: Max 12 people per tour/event. Event Duration: . The Heritage is a grade II* listed building by one of the most important Victorian architects,William Butterfield in 1860s.
Directions: Opposite to All Saints Church London
Pilsudski Institute of London: Notes From Crypto History - Enigma and its Successors
238A King Street, London, Greater London, W6 0RF
The Jozef Pilsudski Institute of London offers an exclusive opportunity to see the Polish Enigma Double next to Enigma machine’s successors:…
Notes From Crypto History: Enigma and its Successors
Drop in museum session at Pilsudski Institute: see the Enigma, Fialka and Nema machines next to each other and listen to a curator’s talk explaining how the machines worked.
The Jozef Pilsudski Institute of London offers an exclusive opportunity to see the Polish Enigma Double next to Enigma machine’s successors: Fialka and NEMA. This is a unique chance to touch the cipher machines and learn how they were used. An exciting talk will let you know how the messages were encoded and why the Enigma code was virtually unbreakable.
Before the talk there will be a drop in session during which you will be able to see the machines up close and you will have an opportunity to use Enigma and Lorenz simulators.
Drop in session: 13th September 3:00 – 6: p.m.
Curator’s talk: 13th September 7 p.m.
- Thurs 13 Sept: 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.; talk: 7 p.m.
Main site is free to explore but the talk must be pre-booked Contact: Olga Topol Call: 020 8748 6197 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Booking opens: 21 May 2018 Booking closes: 11 September 2018
Additional information: There is a limit of 25 places for the talk.
St Alfege Church Crypt Tours
St. Alfege Church, Greenwich Church Street, London, Greater London, SE10 9BJ
We will be running tours in the afternoon from 1pm to 4pm. Each tour will last approximately 40 minutes and will start at the crypt entrance on…
A rare chance to visit the atmospheric crypt of historic St Alfege Church in the heart of Greenwich, the burial place of General James Wolfe and other historical and significant local figures.
We will be running tours in the afternoon from 1pm to 4pm. Each tour will last approximately 40 minutes and will start at the crypt entrance on the south side of the church (nearest the Mitre pub). Please arrive five minutes before the published start time of your tour.
Places are limited so please book early through the Eventbrite link.
Please note that the crypt is a historic space and unfortunately is not accessible to people with limited mobility - there are steep steps leading down into it. It has low ceilings and is also a working space – with material and equipment stored throughout it.
The church will be open throughout the period of the tours, though access might be limited in the afternoons because of recitals and a service.
- Sat 15 Sept: 1300-1600
Main site is free to explore but the tour must be pre-booked Go to: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/heritage-open-day-tours-of-st-alfege-church-crypt-tickets-46436599118 Booking opens: 27 May 2018 Booking closes: 14 September 2018
Access Information: Ramp access (Church only) There is currently a ramp which is steep to access the south entrance. Wheelchair users will need assistance. There are five steps at the main west entrance, so people using walking aids or pushing a buggy may find it easier to use the ramp. Please let the church welcomers or Open Church volunteers know to ensure the south door is open. Induction loop An induction loop for people who are hard of hearing is in operation at services and concerts. For further information on Accessibility please visit www.st-alfege.org/Groups/301006/Accessibility.aspx
Additional information: Max 15 people per tour/event. Event Duration: 40mins.
St Margaret Lothbury, a Wren Gem
St. Margarets Church, Lothbury, London, Greater London, EC2R 7HH
A volunteer will be on hand to provide guided tours of St Margaret's. The first church on the site was constructed around 1180 and was later…
Free guided tours of St Margaret Lothbury, one of the finest Wren churches still in use, with a fine collection of seventeenth century fittings, many by the sculptor and wood carver Grinling Gibbons.
A volunteer will be on hand to provide guided tours of St Margaret's.
The first church on the site was constructed around 1180 and was later extended around 1440. It was largely destroyed during the Great Fire of London but rebuilt on existing foundations by Sir Christopher Wren in 1683-92. The tower was completed in 1698-1700 by the addition of a spire which is understood to have been designed by Robert Hooke and is currently undergoing restoration.
The parish has been augmented by the incorporation of seven adjacent parishes, whose churches were lost through the Great Fire, the Second World War and the expansion of City institutions.
Among the noteworthy furnishings made for St Margaret’s are the high altar reredos, the pulpit and the baptismal font. Of the subsequent additions to the church the most splendid is the choir screen, one of only two in a Wren church, erected originally in the Church of All Hallows the Great, Thames St. in 1683-84 and moved to St Margaret’s in 1894 when that church was demolished. The pulpit sounding board is also from All Hallows.
The paintings of Moses and Aaron on either side of the high altar as well as the bust of Sir Peter Lemaire on the north wall of the nave are from St Christopher-le-Stocks, Threadneedle St. Other items, including the chapel reredos, the sword rests and several monuments, are from St Olave Old Jewry.
- Fri 7 Sept: 9.00 - 16.00
- Sat 8 Sept: 9.00 - 12.00
- Fri 14 Sept: 9.00 - 16.00
- Sat 15 Sept: 9.00 - 12.00
Booking Details: No booking required
Directions: St Margaret's is located on Lothbury, the street running along the north side of the Bank of England. The nearest Tube station is Bank Station, Exit 2. Bus routes: 8; 11; 25; and 76
St. George’s German Lutheran Church
St. Georges German Lutheran Church, 55 Alie Street, Off Leman Street, London, Greater London, E1 8EB
Opened in 1763, St. George's German Lutheran Church is the oldest surviving German church building in Britain. The church closed for regular…
The oldest surviving German church in the country, with an impressive Georgian interior. The church has a fascinating social history, particularly in the 1930's when the pastor helped refugees flee persecution in Germany.
Opened in 1763, St. George's German Lutheran Church is the oldest surviving German church building in Britain. The church closed for regular worship in 1996 when the congregation merged with another German Lutheran church in London. It was taken into care by The Historic Chapels Trust who re-opened the restored church in 2004. The church retains its original box pews. Although it is still occasionally used for church services by the German community from London and the surrounding area, it is now principally used for concerts, lectures, meetings, and a place of historical study. St George's German Lutheran Church is a unique testament to common heritage shared by two nations, both in the past and in the present.
- Sat 8 Sept: 13.00-16.00
- Sat 15 Sept: 10.00 - 16.00
Booking Details: No booking required
Access Information: Two steps into property. Ramp is available for wheelchair access to ground floor, no lift to gallery and organ on first floor. Limited on-street parking in neighbouring streets with local parking restrictions, including on Sunday as the site is very near several Sunday Markets with large visitor numbers.
Directions: Alie Street is off Leman Street. The church is east of Leman Street, next to the Dispensary pub.. Aldgate East Tube Station is a short walk away, choose Leman Street Exit. Buses 15, 25,135. 205, 42 also stop near the station.
The Bells and Bellringing at Christchurch, Hampstead
Christchurch, Hampstead Square, London, Greater London, NW3 1AB
An opportunity to find out about the church and bells of Christchurch, Hampstead, and to talk to local ringers about how the bells are rung. What…
Learn about the historic bells installed at Christchurch, Hampstead, see the belfry and bell installation, talk to the local ringing team and take a taster session in the art of church bellringing, as performed in over 5,000 churches in the UK.
An opportunity to find out about the church and bells of Christchurch, Hampstead, and to talk to local ringers about how the bells are rung. What does it take to fit out a church with bells? How exactly they are rung? Why do so many people find ringing such a rewarding recreation?
The event will cover :
- Talks about Christchurch, its history and the installation of its eight bells in 2005.
- A visit to the belfry to see the bells in action.
- Demonstrations of bellringing and the opportunity to talk to local ringers about how & why the bells are rung.
- 'Taster sessions' enabling you to try out the bells for yourself and take your first steps in what could become a journey to an enjoyable and rewarding recreation.
This event will be ideal for you if you live near Hampstead and feel you could be interested in taking your first steps in learning to ring with a friendly, local band.
Access to the church and bells is by kind permission of the churchwardens of Christchurch, Hampstead.
- Fri 7 Sept: Sessions 18:00, 19:00 & 20:00
- Sat 8 Sept: Sessions 15:00, 16:00 & 17:00
Early booking advisable. Please include your contact details and phone number on the day (if you have one) / The number in your party / Your preferred date and session (please see information on this page) Contact: Christchurch Ringers Email: ChristchurchHOD@btinternet.com Booking closes: 5 September 2018
Access Information: Please note that access to the ringing chamber, where each session will take place is via a ladder of approximately 12 steps without a hand or guiderail. For those wishing to look at the bells, the belfry is accessed via a narrow, stone spiral staircase of approximately 50 steps.
Additional information: Max 8 people per tour/event. Event Duration: One hour session, including introductory talk, belfry visit and taster session.. SUPPORTING "RINGING REMEMBERS" You could also take part in the commemoration of 100 years since the end of the First World War-by becoming one of 1,400 new bell ringers taking up the art in 2018 with the support of the Ringing Remembers project. On 11th November 2018, church bells will ring out again on the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day, when the bells first rang out to proclaim the end of war. To find out more about Ringing Remembers and to enrol, visit the Ringing Remembers page at https://www.big-ideas.org/project/ringing-remembers/.
Directions: Hampstead Square is a short walk of around 250 metres from Hampstead Underground Station. Turn right from the station and walk up Heath Street, past various shops and restaurants including Zara Home and Gaucho. Take the fourth road to the right (Hampstead Square), just by the Quaker Meeting House. Christchurch is directly ahead of you.
The Charterhouse, Charterhouse Square, London, Greater London, EC1M 6AN
The Charterhouse has been living the nation’s history since 1348. Founded as a Black Death burial ground, the site has served as a Carthusian…
The Charterhouse is a historic site in the heart of Clerkenwell, founded in 1348. Join us for a free 30 minute highlight tour led by a resident Brother and find out more about our monastic and Tudor interiors.
The Charterhouse has been living the nation’s history since 1348. Founded as a Black Death burial ground, the site has served as a Carthusian monastery, Tudor mansion, school and an almshouse, which it remains to this day.
We opened to the public in January 2017 with a new museum, learning centre, cafe, events and tour offer.
Join us for a free 30 minute highlight tour led by a resident Brother and find out more about our monastic and Tudor interiors.
Advanced booking via our website. Tickets will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
- Sun 16 Sept: 11-17, Tour 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm
The museum and Chapel are open from 11am-5pm. Tours can be booked via our website and are available on a first come first served basis. Contact: Visitor Hosts Call: 0203 818 8873 Email: email@example.com Go to: https://thecharterhouse.digitickets.co.uk/tickets Booking opens: 1 August 2018 Booking closes: 15 September 2018
Access Information: All public areas of the museum including the reception area, learning centre, Chapel, cloakroom facilities and café are fully accessible for wheelchair users and people with limited mobility. There are accessible toilet facilities and baby changing facilities in the museum reception area. Large print guides are available in the museum. Seating is available at most stops on the tour.
Additional information: Max 15 people per tour/event. Event Duration: 30 minutes.
Directions: The Charterhouse is a 5 minute walk from both Barbican and Farringdon underground stations. Buses 4, 56, and 153 stop on Aldersgate Street, near Carthusian Street. Please see our website for detailed directions or call our Visitor Host team on 0203 818 8873 http://www.thecharterhouse.org/explore-the-charterhouse/about-us/faqs/
The Royal Philatelic Society London
Royal Philatelic Society, 41 Devonshire Place, London, Greater London, W1G 6JY
Come and have a look round this grand Georgian building in the centre of Marylebone, home of the Royal Philatelic Society London (RPSL). The RPSL…
This is your last chance to visit The Royal Philatelic Society London as part of Heritage Open Days before the Society moves to its new home in the City of London. Come visit this grand Georgian building and learn about the exciting world of stamps.
Come and have a look round this grand Georgian building in the centre of Marylebone, home of the Royal Philatelic Society London (RPSL).
The RPSL is the oldest philatelic society in the world, with a growing membership that covers the whole globe. But philately is not just about stamp collecting, as you'll find out on your visit.
The guided tour will cover the history of the RPSL and the building. Don't worry if you know nothing about stamps - everyone is welcome!
We will start by exploring the various rooms including the Library, Meeting Room and the Museum. Visitors will be able to view the main display and Temporary Exhibition, 'Women in Philately'. On display will be features of the female members of the Society, past and present, as well as a look at how women have been represented on stamps. Also included in the tour is a rare chance to see where we authenticate stamps from around the world.
The Society is moving to a new home in 2019 so take this last chance to see the building and the Society before we prepare for our move.
- Fri 7 Sept: Tour 1100-1230
- Sun 9 Sept: Tour 1100-1230
Contact: Juliet Turk Call: 0207 486 1044 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Go to: http://www.rpsl.org.uk/museum.asp Write to: 41 Devonshire Place, London, W1G 6JY Booking opens: 5 April 2018 Booking closes: 6 September 2018
Access Information: This is a Grade II listed building, currently without lift access. The tour will include walking up some stairs. The building is not wheelchair or pushchair accessible - there are steps into the building and around the building.
Additional information: Max 10 people per tour/event. Event Duration: . Tea and coffee will be provided.
Directions: The RPSL is located on the corner of Devonshire Place and Devonshire Street, with the entrance on Devonshire Street.
Women of Note
The Foundling Museum, 40 Brunswick Square, London, Greater London, WC1N 1AZ
Our brand new display explores how the legacy of Handel’s music was created by his female singers. In the 18th century, musical performance was…
Come and join us at the Foundling Museum for the launch day of a new display, exploring the lives and performances of the prominent female singers who worked with George Frideric Handel to create new roles in his operas and oratorios.
Our brand new display explores how the legacy of Handel’s music was created by his female singers. In the 18th century, musical performance was always a live event, and singers could build both their reputation and that of the composer through their performances, with music written specifically to suit their voice. This display brings together women for whom Handel composed, as well as those who continued to interpret and perform his music during and after his lifetime.
- Fri 7 Sept: 1000-1700
Booking Details: No booking required
Access Information: We are committed to making our facilities accessible to all visitors. Visitors with disabilities are entitled to the concessionary rate. Carers of those with disabilities are admitted free of charge. The Museum has ramped access, a lift to all floors, accessible toilets and a cloakroom. A wheelchair, facilities for guide dogs, large print interpretation texts and magnifying glasses are also available on request. Visitors with a Blue Badge for disabled parking may park outside the Museum on the single yellow line for up to 3 hours, or in the residents’ bays opposite the entrance.
Directions: We are less than 5 minutes’ walk from Russell Square underground station. Alternatively, King’s Cross St Pancras and Euston stations are approximately 10 minutes’ walk from the Museum. The nearest buses are the 7, 59, 68, 91, 98, 168 and 188 from Russell Square Station. Cycle docking stations for Santander Cycle Hire are located at Brunswick Square and Russell Square Station. For visitors wishing to travel by car there is an NCP car park at The Brunswick Shopping Centre.